Obscured instruments

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
The standard MB steering wheel is rather huge (and most have deteriorated by now), but if it's replaced with a smaller unit, suddenly you can't see the instuments. I had the idea of replacing the column with a W126 unit, thinking they might've been adjustable (it's been that long I couldn't remember). I thought maybe the reach was adjustable (but that probably wouldn't help anyway). Sadly it sounds like they're not.

I have it on good authority that the first MB column to have adjustable rake and reach was the W140. And that would be a real headache to adapt because everything's motorized. I wish there was an easy solution to the problem, apart from taking to the non-gen wheel with a grinder... :(

Could a worn standard wheel be sucessfully covered in leather and if so how much?

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, you're quite correct regarding the standard wheel. It is the most appropriate, but many have been sun damaged or have gone very soft in ther upper section. Regular application of simple hand cream, i.e. rub it into your hands and massage the wheel with the surplus, can work quite well over a period of time. That's the method I use on Gleaming Beauty with good results.

Your standard wheel can be re-furbished, and can be turned into a combination of leather/burr walnut. Absolutely gorgeous to the look and feel, with a price tag of about $800.00 or a little less. It is some while since this has been talked about on TK - Michel may have had a couple of comments in days gone by. Regards Styria

300SDude

I saw a picture of one done with the wood. I thought it was beautiful. (I love wood). I wouldn't mind getting the wood shifter knob either.

Although the wood one looked pretty cool, I bet it would hurt to smash into it.

I thought I saw some AMG w116's that had a solid wood-rimmed stearing wheel with 3 metal spokes on it. I would think that it is the same size as the standard wheel?

Surprisingly enough, mine isn't really in that bad of shape, considering I am sure mine had spent the last 10-15 years parked outside. The dash was cracked in a couple places, so I put a dash cap on it. Looks much better now, but I wished I had put new speakers in the dash before I put the cap on it. The speakers are kind of trashed.

Maybe one of these days I will pop the dash cover off and replace them and just buy another new dash cap for it.

Although, I did see a thread that motec had posted about some speakers in boxes that are mounted in the door. I thought they looked pretty nice, actually. I believe they were custom made, so I doubt I could find any, lol.

The rear deck in mine was really badly sun-faded, but when I had them re-upholster the seats, I had him cover the rear deck in the same material. I'm still debating on whether or not to get the windows tinted. I am thinking they would remove the rear window to tint it because of the curve in the glass. Nothing leaks in the car at this moment, but I would be a little scared that the window seal would be trashed if they removed it. I think they are kind of spendy to replace?

I wish that the w116 had a tilt wheel at least. AND a trunk release button inside the car instead of me having to use the key all the time. (which I always seem to forget and leave hanging out most of the time, lol).

300SDude

WGB

I have a period AMG leather wheel as well as a standard wheel in good condition.

I like the directness and feel of the smaller AMG wheel but you have to slump in the seat to read speeds above 80 km/hr.

I have opted to leave the standard wheel on except for "special occasions".

A 126 wheel will fit a large spline column.

Never seen an adjustable 126 column though.

Bill

Tony66_au

I bought (On eBay) from Hong kong a very nice Grey leather stitch on steering wheel cover for a Range Rover.

The size I bought was still too small for the wheel so I carefully stretched it over time until it fit and then left it to settle in to its new size before stitching it shut.

it took a bit of work but the fit and finish was very nice and the grey complimented the wheel well.

I actually unstitched it yesterday to move it to the new (Old) Rangie and it still looks like it was factory so a black unit should look good on a Benz.

The cover is not solid leather but actually has small perforations and it is very comfy to use.

eBay...... Is your friend.

Terqel

Hi all, Maybe a leather wheel cover would do the trick. I got one from "Wheelskins" an L.A. company in the US. Fits beautifully, is very well made and is probably No.1 in the US. Plenty of options to choose from, size code is BX and they stitch up very tight . Check out their website under the above name.

300SDude

Just saw this one come-up on eBay:

W116 MERCEDES BENZ STEERING WHEEL

Doesn't look in too bad of shape. If it was parked in a garage most of it's life, it should be OK, but if it was in a car that sat outside a lot, it would be trashed, for it's hotter (and sunny) as hell ANYWHERE in Arizona!

300SDude