More threads by KenB

KenB

Hi all, thought I'd drop in a quick hello as a newbee. I have a 500 SL from 1981. It wasnt perfect when I got it last year but was pretty good and a little money has done wonders so far with the improvements. I will post some pics when I learn how.
It goes amazingly hjard and I love driving it nearly every day when I have an excuse- I work from home so my k's aren't as high as they used to be.
There are plenty of things I want to do to it over the next few years to bring it right up to scratch (so to speak) and i guess I'll be asking for guidance from here.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Welcome aboard Ken,

I know what you mean about the 'go hard' in the 500SL.

They are great cars...

How about some pictures?

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
KenB: Welcome to Topklasse!

I have always loved the 500 SL's. Find out soon how to post some pics. Usually, there are folks around you to help if you don't know how.

Tell us some of the history of your car, if you know, and some details of it's condition.

OP
K

KenB

Thanks for the welcome guys. The car is from Sydney and had been there since being brought back from Hong Kong in 2000. The lady who brought it back sold it on to the guy I bought it from last year. The worst thing about it was the rust in the boot caused by the spoiler. As soon as I get a tute on loading I'll show those pics. It wasn't obvious until we went right through, it's all fixed now as is the high idle problem. I've also bought another Becker to go back in and replace the awful Pioneer thingy in there. The suspension and steering are all very tight.
The vacuum system is still ordinary and the interior is in need of a refit.
I've owned three other Mercs before a 380 SEL, a 230 E and a 300CE 24v. I loved them all but the 500 is THE one!

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
KenB

The only way (at this stage) of uploading pictures onto this Forum is via Photobucket or Flicker or such a programme.

Are you familiar with them?

Styria

The Godfather
KenB

The only way (at this stage) of uploading pictures onto this Forum is via Photobucket or Flicker or such a programme.

Are you familiar with them?

..........and if you use Photobucket (great programme), the appropriate procedure has previously been recommended by Michel. If you can't find it, let us know. Regards Styria

260ebenz

Master
Hello Ken and welcome to the TopKlassse Forum.

Look forward to seeing photos and reading more about your 500SL Mercedes if you get stuck on how to post photos of your car let us know only to glad to help you out.

Enjoy the Forum!

Cheers Tim.
:D

Tony66_au

Welcome to Topklasse Ken!

I nearly bought a 500 SEL myself until I found out a little more about the 450SEL 6.9 which is where im headed when the bank account is healthier.

So in the meantime I am happy with 450's (Not 6.9's yet).
Tony

-bb-

Noble
KenB

The only way (at this stage) of uploading pictures onto this Forum is via Photobucket or Flicker or such a programme.?

The use of an external site is not required. There are two ways to upload pictures directly to the forum:

1. This site has a gallery section which can be used for linking pictures in posts - http://www.topklasse.org/forums/umg.php

2. As long as the file is in jpg format and smaller than 2048x2048, it can be attached directly to a post. When writing a post, there is a manage attachments button below the text window if you scroll down. Press this and a popup will appear which you can use to upload files. I will upload a shot of that window to this post to show it in use.

Attachments

• attachpicture.jpg
    attachpicture.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
2. As long as the file is in jpg format and smaller than 2048x2048, it can be attached directly to a post. When writing a post, there is a manage attachments button below the text window if you scroll down. Press this and a popup will appear which you can use to upload files. I will upload a shot of that window to this post to show it in use.

Alas the 'manage attachments' function does not apear on my screen.

Is there a function turned off somewhere else?

Styria

The Godfather
I am sorry, but I can't help myself. Just come across this thread started by Ben. Honestly, great promise, much would have been expected but it would seem that poor old KenB has disappeared. May you RIP KenB, but if feasible, you just might make another appearance on TK. You'd make good company for Mots. :) Regards Styria

N.B. Our very own, and much esteemed Mots.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Yes, M.O.T.S. could be everywhere - he's even been seen loitering around at Preston. Hard to keep track of. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Yes, M.O.T.S. could be everywhere - he's even been seen loitering around at Preston. Hard to keep track of. Regards Styria

Prestons?
I must have missed him... :rolleyes:

Styria

The Godfather
He could have been looking at you from the other side of the road - you just never know what he is up to next. E.G., even Michel missed him ! Regards Styria

Patrick_R

Grand Master
There is a great coffee van at Preston’s, it looks like an Airstream, but locally built.
GREAT coffee, and always a funny character with a hat and dark glasses on and sitting in one of the out of the way seats?

7-F757033-50-BF-44-CB-B23-D-ED4-DC0-DFB762.jpg