New 84 500SEL owner - some timing chain advice please!

More threads by 500sel

500sel

Respectable
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a 1984 500SEL with approx 124k on the clock. I'm currently working through some mechanical wear and tear items before moving on to some small cosmetic issues. Overall, the car is in great condition considering its age.

After doing some research, I want to replace the timing chain, guide rails etc to preempt failure in the future. I can't find any evidence of this job being performed previously. Can someone point me in the right direction in terms of parts required? I'd like to source the parts myself and have my mechanic do the work (Automotion in Brisbane).

It appears I also have some issues with the SLS struts... They're not leaking, but apparently the nylon sleeve that covers the ball joint at the end of the strut has worn off. Can these struts be reconditioned?

Any advice is much appreciated!

abl567

Super Moderator
Welcome to the group!
I'm sure you'll find the answers to your questions here, both issues have been recently discussed.
You can use the search function and go down the rabbit hole of old posts, or sit tight and let the others more versed in these jobs reply.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a 1984 500SEL with approx 124k on the clock. I'm currently working through some mechanical wear and tear items before moving on to some small cosmetic issues. Overall, the car is in great condition considering its age.

After doing some research, I want to replace the timing chain, guide rails etc to preempt failure in the future. I can't find any evidence of this job being performed previously. Can someone point me in the right direction in terms of parts required? I'd like to source the parts myself and have my mechanic do the work (Automotion in Brisbane).

It appears I also have some issues with the SLS struts... They're not leaking, but apparently the nylon sleeve that covers the ball joint at the end of the strut has worn off. Can these struts be reconditioned?

Any advice is much appreciated!

It's a good idea to do the chain.
Here is a link to an older thread on this job, some of the part numbers may be slightly different for a 500vs a 450 but they are both M117's and you'll need to change all the same parts even if there are minor differences.

http://www.topklasse.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2895

While you're at it, you'll want to change the camshaft oiler fittings (tubes themselvs can be re-used) and obviously the cam cover seals.

Plan on changing:
- The chain (IWIS is OEM)
- Upper guides (go with factory) - there are four of them including the long one that sits next to the tensioner
- Tensioner & gasket
- Sprockets

On post 23 of this thread you can also see pictures of some of the parts I got for my 87:

http://www.topklasse.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6811&page=2

The struts are no longer available (thanks Sachs) so best if you can try and find somebody who will fix the ball joint on the end.

OP

500sel

Respectable

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Hi c107,

Thank you for the links! Your posts were the inspiration for my imminent timing chain replacement.

Has anyone bought from Mercedes Source before? I'm considering these kits to complete the replacement, possibly doing it myself:

https://mercedessource.com/store/m1...-tube-clip-set-replacement-kit-w-instructions

https://mercedessource.com/store/late-m116-and-m117-camshaft-and-engine-survival-kit

https://mercedessource.com/store/380-500-420-560-v8-timing-chain-tensioner

Cheers,
Matt.

Hi Matt,
I've bought some of their special tools and found them useful - e.g the one that they built for putting in the shifter bushings is really useful.

They can be expensive for normal parts, and they don't list what brand they sell. I don't think they would send you a really crappy brand like Uro but I prefer to buy from the websites that are very clear what the brand is. I got most of my stuff from pelican, FCP euro etc.

You could buy their instructions and the parts from elsewhere I think too.

Oversize

Grand Master
Give The Ball Joint Dr a call & see if he can help. Be sure to let us know if he can!!!

3-B464314-9-A58-4360-9101-9-A4-CE9-EA77-A7.png

OP

500sel

Respectable
Thanks all for the advice!

I'm currently investigating some fuelling issues too, ahh the joys of classic car ownership!

Matt.

OP

500sel

Respectable
Hi all,

Ok further research on the parts I need for the timing chain job have uncovered some differences of opinion.

Which brand of chain tensioner should I use?

A Febi chain tensioner is approx. $90 US
Genuine Mercedes chain tensioner is however $420 US...

After reading several forum posts and watching the Mercedes Classic youtube clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlWzTKEXACQ) I'm concerned that the Febi part is poor quality. I really dont want to spend approx. $600 AUD on a chain tensioner though.

Appreciate any opinions!

Matt.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I went with a Febi Unit on my SEC, as the $600 was too much.
There was a bloke on another forum who cut one up and inspected it and he could not see any differences in how it worked than a genuine. That doesn't determine quality, but at least the functionality of the part is the same.

My thought is that maybe it would make sense to change the tensioner half way through the life of the chain for peace of mind.

Interested in other views here.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
As far as I know, Mercedes doesn't make it's own components.
Febi, Bosch and many other companies produce the parts used in Merecedes-Benz cars and package them in a different boxes.

The Febi you are looking at might have been OES (original equipment supplier)