Grand Master
Another thread made me do it! :D

Mine:

Ford 427 Cammer,
AMG Hammer 6.0,
M100 6.9

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Lancia Fulvia narrow angle V4 - smooth and compact.
Mazda Rotary13B - for its ability to rev smoothly and rapidly.
Rolls-Royce 40/50 HP - almost silent idle at 45 rpm and huge reserves of torque.
Regards,
Brian

B13

Any Mazda rotary engine
M100 6.9 V8
M117 4.5 V8 D-Jet

I.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
1912 Peugeot l 76 racing engine. The FIRST DOHC racing engine. 4 cylinders, 7.6 litres, producing 148 horsepower. All racing engines have their original design genes based on this engine.

Myer Drake Offenhauser 4.2 Indy engine. A development of the engine above, originally known as a Miller, and in various forms, raced at the Brickyard for over 30 years. Only the Cosworth DFV has a nearly similar extensive history in motor racing.

Pratt & Whitney R4360 VDT. I know!, I know! I cheated! It's an experimental piston aircraft engine. Produced 4,500 horsepower. Non VDT's powered the B36 bomber. 28 cylinder four row radial engine, two platinum plugs per cylinder. 336 spark plugs on each B36 bomber.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The mighty small block Chevy. From 265 to 400 cubic inches.

The unbreakable Big Block Chevy! From 396 to 454 cubic inches.

And the famous boxer flat four VW, Porsche, Subaru engines.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
The mighty small block Chevy. From 265 to 400 cubic inches.

The unbreakable Big Block Chevy! From 396 to 454 cubic inches.

And the famous boxer flat four VW, Porsche, Subaru engines.

And don't forget the Flavia, 2000 and Gamma series of engines that were flat 4s. True gems of smoothness and compact design. Anyone can build a big block motor that will have so much power it hides its design defects but it takes a genius to design and build a small engine. Take a look at the Honda S600 engine as an example of genius - needle roller bearings etc. and the ability to rev through to 11,000 rpm.
Regards,
Brian

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi guys if I may I have 3 motorsport favourites and 3 road favourites. The racing would be 1 the Cosworth DFV it had a 15 year winning streak it F1 from 68 till its last win in 83 . 2 for the same reasons stated the office or miller 4 for its career at the brickyard . 3 the Telco Brabham F1 engine as it climded to the top in F1 and came from Australia . Road 1 426 hemi still the design in drag racing. I own it M-100 enough said. 3 Porsche flat 6 to drive one is a true joy . Geoff

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Awww Motec you've provided 6 with the inclusion of motorsport, so I guess I have a few submissions left!!

I guess you could call the Cammer a motorsport engine, and the Hammer was a very limited production run (approx. 30), so I'll add:

426 Hemi,
Honda VTEC (any),
Ford 6T.

So have I gone over my allowance (my rules)??? ;)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The title does say 'three'

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Michel there is no way I can keep to only 3 engines sorry Mark but I have owned both small block an big block engines from Chev Ford and Chrysler.I even had a mini cooper years ago and a moke . I am a car spotter and tragic but I can deal with that.LOL. Geoff

Styria

The Godfather
On account of my quite limited experience, I don't think I can come up with three favourite engines. Rover V8s - no. A very smooth, free reving small V8 of 3.5 liters, but it did have a weakness with main bearing issues (after high mileage), shifting liners (on one engine) and two broken crankshafts. Also susceptible to wear in valve gear - the rocker shaft.

Rover six cylinder 3 litre - no, whilst lovely engine, side tappets difficult to adjust, also inclined to burn exhaust valves.

Mercedes M100 engine - 6.9 litre only. Probably my favourite on account of longevity and robustness, and excellent torque. The 'hold steady accelerator' is remarkable as the revs approach the torque range of 2500-3000 rpm. Start off with 2K. revs, hold accelerator steady and watch the revs rise and the speed build up as the tacho needle creeps upwards. You don't even have to press the accelerator. Also, like oil capacity and dry sump lube system.

Chevy Gen 3 5.7 litre engine - lots of silky smooth power, quite economical and just about whisper quiet.

Last but not least - Valiant 6 cylinder hemi engine - wonderful power from 4 litres (?) and utterly reliable. I guess that's about the extent of my experience. Regards Styria