My 84 500SEL

More threads by 500sel

500sel

Respectable
Hi all,

I originally posted a timing chain query regarding my recently purchased 1984 500SEL. c107 suggested I start a separate thread with the details and photos of the car - which is exactly what I'm going to do here!

Here's a pic:

IMG-1388.jpg

I bought the car in May from a retired Mercedes dealer living on the Gold Coast. It it a one owner car with 124,000k's on the clock. As I'm sure you're all aware, the 500SEL was never officially imported into Australia. My car was ordered from South Africa. The pre-delivery inspection stamp is from McCarthy Motors, a Mercedes dealer in London. I assume the car was ordered from the UK. It spent the first 20,000kms in South Africa, then it was shipped to Sydney in 1986 where it lived until earlier this year.

It's my first Mercedes. I wanted something well made, timeless and durable. Something classic that would handle a commute. I like analogue cars, my other daily drive is a 2014 Land Rover Defender. The Mercedes seemed like a good choice given my criteria. I certainly enjoy driving it, but it's not without problems...

I've already had all 4 brake rotors rebuilt. I've just received the parts to replace the timing chain, guide rails, camshaft oilers, all 8 injectors, the fuel accumulator, engine/transmission mounts..

My plan is to sort the mechanical issues, then focus on the cosmetic.

It's been a very expensive exercise so far! I'm going to get my mechanic to do the timing chain work - I don't want to risk stuffing that up myself. I'm thinking of doing the injectors and fuel accumulator myself as it seems a relatively easy job.

I also have SLS problems.... My mechanic did a full inspection of the car when I bought it and apparently the nylon sleeve that covers the ball joint at the end of the struts has perished.

Reading Bryce's excellent blog https://www.classicjalopy.com/ I see that you're looking to reinstate the SLS? Have you had issues sourcing the parts?

Thanks all for reading. If anyone is interested I'll post updates on the work.

Matt.

abl567

Super Moderator
I'm interested and confident the other regulars here are as well!

Post away!

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Sounds like a nice car.
Please do post updates on the work you do to it.

On the SLS, the hardest part to get is the struts as they are no longer available new. I found a set from a wrecker, but they were not cheap. I think styria is interested in having a go at rebuilding them as he already does the 6.9 struts which are different.

Styria

The Godfather
I have now probably rebuilt eight to ten struts, and have had only the one failure which occurred when Helmet replaced struts on a full Hydraulic 560SEL.

As far as the SLS units are concerned, I have not yet seen one to evaluate rebuilding possibilities. As a rule, I tend to think that if it has been put together, one should be able to dismantle it and rebuild in due course. We have done an unbelievable amount of testing on all manner relating to the hydraulic suspension operating features, and I intend to write on this testing in more detail. In between times, if anyone has a rear SLS strut, I really would appreciate the opportunity to examine same. Regards Styria