Motoring in the '60s - Scooters

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I need to explain that in the sixties I was not a motoring afficionado - I was restricted to my first car purchase under the Hire Purchase arrangements available in those days - in my case, Custom Credit Corporation, and a 1956 Rover 90 I bought at auction at half price of a new Holden - $650.00 dollars or pounds, but I cannot recall which of the two currencies.

This particular video represents the ultimate of nostalgia - to me in any case. What an insight looking at the old British cars, traffic conditions etc. What an eye opener, and it is hoped that some of you will find likewise. Regards Styria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTC392qgaRQ

sean sherry

Master
Particularly interesting to me, especially the Motor Cycle Video. As a 15 year old teenager in 1950 I can relate to it all. Not the Ton Up Boys , as all i could afford was a 5 Pound 1934 Royal Enfield in well worn condition.Times sure have sure changed , my first Driving Licence was there for the asking, pay your 5 shillings and I was issued with one , no driving test in Nth. Ireland. Learning to Drive, I taught myself by reading the Owners Manual for 1948 Morris eights. There were instructions on how to operate a Car. No driving Schools back then, I don't know how other People learned to Drive. No one in the Morris Dealership, where I served my Apprenticeship, ever offered any help, the Foreman just said, move that Car, no matter what it was. big or small or Pre- War Riles with Pre- Selector Gear Boxes. The Video relates to the later fifties as up until 1950 all cars and Bikes were rehashed Pre- War models.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I can relate as when I started driving buses in the late 80's as an 18 year-old I was given the oldest bus in the fleet to learn in and do the school run with. It was a j2 Bedford 33 seater with 4 speed crash box and air hydraulic brakes so no brakes and no powersteering