MIG weldng sheet steel

More threads by s class

s class

Stupid question - when patching rust holes with new steel, what is the preferred thickness of sheet to buy? I presume it must be hot-rolled.

John S

To avoid any concerns go to a wreckers and buy a similar panel off the same model yours is. It doesn’t matter if the panel is rusted or scraped, as you cut out only what you need from a good section - cheap and the thickness will match.

Parks

Hi Sclass, I think the thickness I use is 16g for panels but structural places I use thicker, but as I say im not sure of the specs , I just look at the steel and know if ive got right one in my hand or not.....I also use steel that has a protective coating on it, I can leave it outside bare for months and it doesnt corrode

OP
s class

s class

Thanks to both of you. John, that is an excellent suggestion, but in this case I the piece i need is half the size of my hand on the rear of my W140, and I will need to buy the entire rear half of a bodyshell to get that. Too expensive.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
You can use a 16g or 20g depends on where you are welding.
Any decent piece of steel you have lying around from a wrecked benz would do.

OP
s class

s class

THanks Bill. I have posted a query on Benzworld about what precautions I should take before MIG-ing on a W140. So far no real concerns have been raised.

J

JoeB

I've heard stories of welders killing ECU's but never seen it happen. I do know that the HF start on many TIG welders will fry any sensitive electrical gear, but since you are using a MIG, it more than likely doesnt have a HF start and you should be fine.

Never hurts to be careful though! 10 minutes of disconnection and removal of expensive bits might save you a small fortune, even if it only gives you piece of mind. (insulate the battery cable clamps- dont leave them touching the chassis)