Mercedes commit to V8 sponsorship

More threads by motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Last edited by a moderator:

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Fancy Mercedes sponsoring a Holden racing car team ?!
If they are going to do that, perhaps they could provide some decent engineering input as well. THAT would make a Holden racing car work well !

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Since car of the future nothing is road car based. Every brand has the same chassis/gearbox/brakes/wheels & tyres only engine is free and every one is rev limited to 7500revs or more if one design proves to have more performance than another. Only external panels are bolted on and they all have centralised driving position. http://www.v8supercars.com.au/championship/technical/vehicle-details

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Mercedes-Benz is not sponsoring any V8 Supercar.
Freightliner is a unit of Daimler AG and so is Mercedes-Benz and that is where the commonality stops!

I can assure you that MB is NOT the least interested in getting involved in V8 Supercars as they view that form of racing to be aimed at the masses and not luxury car buyers.

Styria

The Godfather
Okay Michel. so V8 Supercars are not of real interest to Mercedes as it does not, shall we say, cater for the luxury car market. Plus, in addition, it is probably fair to state that the size of the Australian market must be negligible and therefore of interest to a minority only. Thus, should one ask "who cares for the cars they are racing in the Sports Cars Categories in Europe ? Of much interest to none except a select few ?" How many "Joe Blows" care whether an SLS AMG finishes first or second or third in the European races ?

Maybe a few questions to ponder, maybe a few questions that could be asked. I still maintain that Freightliner's sponsorship of Holden smacks of heavy handed politics. I mean, if nothing else, Klimenko's efforts and Erebus Sport have added some interest, if nothing else, to a series that really only boiled down to the machinery being made available to perhaps a maximum of six drivers. My rant - finished. Regards Styria

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Freightliner is owned by Mercedes so sponsoring a team is Mercedes sponsorship nothing planer .

Styria

The Godfather
I'll go along with what you are saying. It is quite clear that Mercedes would rather promote Freightliner than unsuccessful racing cars. I mean, do we know why the V8 team is not "firing" on all 8s ? Is it the cars themselves, or is it the mechanicals ? Is the engine an AMG unit ? Anyone know the ins and outs ? Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Freightliner is owned by Mercedes so sponsoring a team is Mercedes sponsorship nothing planer .

I'm sorry to say but you don't know what you are talking about!

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I'll go along with what you are saying. It is quite clear that Mercedes would rather promote Freightliner than unsuccessful racing cars. I mean, do we know why the V8 team is not "firing" on all 8s ? Is it the cars themselves, or is it the mechanicals ? Is the engine an AMG unit ? Anyone know the ins and outs ? Regards Styria

Erebus is supported by the factory like any client who would come and ask for help. Any 'client'... Money talks a lot. Obviously there isn't enough money!

But Erebus is NOT a factory backed team

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son

Last edited:
OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son

Last edited:
OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I get the same press releases as Carpoint.
You put a Wikipedia link regarding Freightliner...
Read well who owns it: Daimler AG, which is the parent company to both MB and and Smart as well as a multitude of divisions.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_AG

Besides, journalists put their own slant on press releases and car launches for the reason you're getting excited about: they beat up a story that really doesn't exist.

The fact is Freightliner is supporting BJR and not Mercedes Benz.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Erebus is supported by the factory like any client who would come and ask for help. Any 'client'... Money talks a lot. Obviously there isn't enough money!

But Erebus is NOT a factory backed team

.......Michel, well maybe the engine is not good enough ? Any thoughts on that assertion, so to speak ? Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
.......Michel, well maybe the engine is not good enough ? Any thoughts on that assertion, so to speak ? Regards Styria

It's more than just the engine Godfather.
You may recall Volvo coming in late in the season and posting some if the most amazing speeds and lap times especially at Bathurst. That has a lot to do with aerodynamics.

I have questioned MB Australia a few times and the standard answer was 'we support Erebus like we would support any client who comes to us for support'...
But off the record the answer has been :'it's not our thing... V8 Supercars is not our demographic clientele'.

It's also about drivers and testing time, which means mega dollars spent on track work, extra tyres, extra pay for staff, fuel, engine parts, etc...
Betty is not made of money.
She has a company with a CEO and they run to a budget.

Styria

The Godfather
Michel, I accept all of your reasoning and statements. In any case, I simply do not know better. However, it still doesn't change my mind that Freightliner, a subsidiary of Mercedes Benz Gmbh, sponsors an organization that has absolutely no legal, nor moral ties, to their operation. As far as I am concerned, it's "not cricket" and a blow below the belt. Regards Styria

N.B. In this life, it's important to be fair in all one's dealings.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I'm sorry to say but you don't know what you are talking about!
Sorry but that is offensive when press conference was at Mercedes headquarter . So you don't know what you are talking about. :p:p:p

Geoff, I've been a motoring journalist for more than 25 years, I can read between the lines of an article.
I thought out of all people , you would not just believe everything you read in the press.

Part of Daimler AG's operations is the fact the Australia comes under the umbrella of Mercedes-Benz Australia/Pacific.
For practicality (unable to justify set up costs) , Freightliner became a unit in Mercedes-Benz Australia/Pacific’s commercial vehicle activities.

Again I reiterate that Freightliner was acquired by Daimler AG in 1981.
The Freightliner trucks have NO Mercedes Benz badges...
By the way, did you know Daimler AG also owns FUSO????

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Michel, I accept all of your reasoning and statements. In any case, I simply do not know better. However, it still doesn't change my mind that Freightliner, a subsidiary of Mercedes Benz Gmbh, sponsors an organization that has absolutely no legal, nor moral ties, to their operation. As far as I am concerned, it's "not cricket" and a blow below the belt. Regards Styria

N.B. In this life, it's important to be fair in all one's dealings.

IT IS NOT a subsidiary of Mercedes Benz Gmbh...

It is a subsidiary of Daimler AG.....
of which MB is also a subsidiary.

Styria

The Godfather
Sorry to bud in, but I DID know that Fuso are part of Mercedes Gmbh. Maybe the Company should get Fuso to sponsor Erebus - we do know that Fuso need more exposure in the trucking world.....:p What better way than to hang Fuso on the sides of Betty's cars ! Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Gentlemen,
I have to confirm that Michel is correct. In order to understand why he is correct you must first understand something of the corporate nature of Daimler.
Daimler owns a number of companies such as; Mercedes-Benz, Freightliner, Fuso etc. and is also heavily involved in Airbus and companies outside motoring.
Now, Mercedes-Benz does not own Freightliner or Fuso. Freightliner would be free to some extent to make its own corporate decision about sponsorship and other matters.
For your education I include this link:
http://www.daimler.com/brands-and-products
You will also find that the greatest share of Daimler's income is derived from its financial services and banking. The moral is make the product and then provide the financial services to enable people to buy the product. Profit is thus derived from two sources.
Have you ever wondered why General Electrics is a brand we see so rarely now? It is because it has taken a similar path and derives a greater income from GE Money than it ever did from selling whitegoods. The Western economy is maturing beyond manufacturing and into financial services.
Regards,
Brian