Mercedes B200

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Prior to purchasing the Honda Jazz, I really considered the purchase of a used B200. Alas, I chickened out on account of possible servicing and repair costs, and it was only at the recent Christmas get-together that one of the Club members absolutely crucified the reliability factor of the model. So, I am glad it was Honda that became our preferred choice. Still, I have a very soft spot for the B200. Come to think of it, I did drive a new one a few months ago - very impressive, although I prefer the original styling when they were launched in 2005. Regards Styria

Attachments

• Mercedes B200 CDI.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

BenzBoy

Grand Master
A B class would never be on my shopping list anymore - sadly, like many other new Mercedes models. Why? Runflat tyres that can't be repaired when punctured and can't be driven more than 160 kms when punctured.
Totally bloody useless in Australia!
Now please don't tell me we don't get punctures in Sydney. I had two this weekend and both were nails from the city roads.
Oh Mercedes-Benz, go and build a product people can actually use. A Model T Ford would be more useful than a car with runflats....
Some idiot sits in a design studio and works out the specifications for a new car when he has no idea of how it will be used. Of course that is not limited to Mercedes. Alarmingly, there is a huge gap between what the car manufacturers say a runflat should do and what tyre manufacturers advise is possible with such a tyre. If in doubt go and have a look at what Bridgestone says about its runflats - use for no more than 80 kms before replacing and don't repair a puncture! Good god man, that won't even get the weekend shopping done.
http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/technologies/rft/faq.aspx
http://www.carsguide.com.au/tools-and-advice/hints-and-tips/run-flat_tyres
Regards,
Brian

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Benz Boy, strong words, but perhaps ever more so appropriate ?...and loaded with common sense ? I think so. The Honda Jazz will get you to your destination with a cute looking 'emergency' tyre - almost full size. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Benz Boy, strong words, but perhaps ever more so appropriate ?...and loaded with common sense ? I think so. The Honda Jazz will get you to your destination with a cute looking 'emergency' tyre - almost full size. Regards Styria
My ML has both an emergency tyre and a full sized spare. Believe me, the emergency tyre is lethal when the car is loaded and the roads slippery - and I discovered that on my way home from Wharoonga so it is hardly very far and at speeds less than 60 kph. Personally, my view of manufacturers fitting RFTs and ETs is that might be sued for compromising safety. Do you realise that after a few uses an ET must be discarded? Holden at least provides a full-sized spare.
Anyway, that is my stand on the soap box this morning. ;)
regards,
Brian

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I like the B class :rolleyes:

...yes Helmet, and so do I. However, you of all people, are at ground level to perhaps respond to the points I have raised. I'd be very much interested in your honest opinion - without being led to slaughter - if you know what I mean. Regards Styria

Helmet

Connoisseur
...yes Helmet, and so do I. However, you of all people, are at ground level to perhaps respond to the points I have raised. I'd be very much interested in your honest opinion - without being led to slaughter - if you know what I mean. Regards Styria

Its probably no better or worse than any other model out today. I think that because most people buy them to do short runs only they will ultimately wear prematurely and clog up for the lack of not getting a good run every now and then. Check the blog on my website and your can see the extent we had to go to to remove carbon buildup on a B class diesel inlet manifold.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Helmet, interesting. It took a bit of time to find the blog, but find it I did in the end. 2008 model, I wonder how many kilometers ? Believe it or not, the same specification B200 came up for sale in Brisbane a few months ago, at $15.990 or thereabouts. Turbo Diesel and all - it was tempting. Michel reckoned it was far too cheap to be a genuine sale.

After reading your blog, I am glad I abstained. Engine out and all ? Call me chicken if you like, but I see dollar signs. I am not going to ask you how much it cost, although the information would be useful. Just tell me this. As you know, we have the Honda Jazz with 1.3 litre engine, and it has hardly ever seen anywhere near 3000rpm - remember, City driving. Max. torque at 4000, the majority of time it hovers around the 1500 rev. mark. Should we take 'Daisy' on a "Tune-Up" run every once in a while in order to prevent the sort of situation you found with the 200B ? It was all coked up, okay, but what symptoms did the car display to make you realize that part of the engine was all coked up ? Did it refuse to start, or did it run roughly, just how did the problem manifest itself ? I hope you have time to answer all these questions. :eek: Regards Styria

Helmet

Connoisseur
Hi Helmet, interesting. It took a bit of time to find the blog, but find it I did in the end. 2008 model, I wonder how many kilometers ? Believe it or not, the same specification B200 came up for sale in Brisbane a few months ago, at $15.990 or thereabouts. Turbo Diesel and all - it was tempting. Michel reckoned it was far too cheap to be a genuine sale.

After reading your blog, I am glad I abstained. Engine out and all ? Call me chicken if you like, but I see dollar signs. I am not going to ask you how much it cost, although the information would be useful. Just tell me this. As you know, we have the Honda Jazz with 1.3 litre engine, and it has hardly ever seen anywhere near 3000rpm - remember, City driving. Max. torque at 4000, the majority of time it hovers around the 1500 rev. mark. Should we take 'Daisy' on a "Tune-Up" run every once in a while in order to prevent the sort of situation you found with the 200B ? It was all coked up, okay, but what symptoms did the car display to make you realize that part of the engine was all coked up ? Did it refuse to start, or did it run roughly, just how did the problem manifest itself ? I hope you have time to answer all these questions. :eek: Regards Styria
I'll try :cool:

The B class was in limp mode and had an engine light on, fault code for an intake motor fault. they have a motor that controls the swirl flaps in the inlet manifold.When we removed the motor found the shaft was jammed. Motor cost around 700 + labour gaskets etc and the final bill was around 3000.
Direct injection petrol cars are starting to suffer the same problems. I reckon your Honda is designed for short runs and is not direct injection so you dont have anything to worry about :D
oh except your transmission:rolleyes:

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
hi Helmet, I do thank you for your reply. believe it or not, it is only just now that I found your post. I am afraid it doesn't paint all that great a picture for the B200 - maybe I am just a little pedantic about the whole reliability and cost issue as far as MB is concerned. Yes, a little too suspicious and wary.

Interesting observation regarding the Honda transmission. I believe that some of the models, at some stage, were fitted with the seven speed CV transmission that was inclined to be a little troublesome. Our "Daisy" is fitted with a "normal" five speed Automatic, so hopefully we'll experience trouble free motoring. I have done some research on the various Jazz models, and most reviews appear to be more than favourable. Anyway Helmet, I do thank you for volunteering the information you have provided. Regards. Styria