MB CLA 200

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Currently I am driving a loan vehicle while the E-Estate is being serviced. I am very grateful for having a loan vehicle but it confirms my suspicion that a CLA200 is not a car to buy. Yes, it looks stylish, yes, it goes like a little rocket given it is only 1.3 litres and yes, it has lots of safety gear. Yes, it alerts the driver to every passing obstacle and the warning noises became quite hysterical when I parked it close to our other cars in the garage.
So what is lacking? Visibility is appalling as the tombstone seats block vision of cars approaching on the passenger side; the piano-black finish is just hard plastic that sound tinny when you tap it; the control stalks are flimsy little plastic wands that feel like they would snap if one does not take great care; the brakes are over sharp; the change down to first at lights is a hard clunk; the rear vision is compromised by the body shape; the steering wheel adjusts up and down only; the touch screen is a nightmare in silly little symbols that flash across the screen like a computer game rather than like an automobile; the headrests at the front are fixed in a forward position and don't allow for neck movement (read imitation racing shells); entry and exit from the rear seats is difficult (read aged writer here) and there are no grab handles because if there were a passenger would get concussion, such is the lack of head room.
Apart from all that it looks superficially smart and I am sure people will be very happy with it. However, I have experienced nothing apart from the excellent handling that would qualify the vehicle as a Mercedes-Benz. There are better choices on the market.
The previous service vehicle I had was a CLA 45 and that was really no better - just faster.
The qualities I look for in a Benz are simply not there.
Regards,
Brian

Patrick_R

Grand Master
That’s a very good and comprehensive report Brian.

It just goes to show how looks and kerb appeal trump quality, engineering and the driving experience that Mercedes Benz were renowned for.

I’m sorry that getting a nice current model loan car ended up in disappointment.

At least your write up may educate people away from something they too would be disappointed in.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
As I am not familiar with this car Brian has reported on, I guess others maybe as well.
Here is a pic and some specs.
E9AE54BB-4181-4F2F-99F8-E2C4E1489DA3.jpeg
86C0AE30-1587-4FB9-B1EB-D063AF36B53F.jpeg
3E6B2431-4E8E-444B-B50C-BF9394D80D9B.jpeg
I see what you mean about the seats Brian. A short arse like me may be ok, but I can see why a tall chap like yourself would have massive issues getting comfortable in this terrible looking seat.

sean sherry

Master
A front wheel drive Merc..... no thanks...... A front wheel drive VW Golf is a better Car for much less money. I had one for 5 years 2013 to 2018 Zero faults.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I drove the current generation A class when it was launched and sampled most variants, including the CLA (in all its engine capacities).
As much as I'm a Benz lover, I was not impressed.
I guess i expected comfort like in a large sedan, and that was not there.
Clearly, they are designed for a younger generation that can take the 'relative' roughness of the ride and most of what is associated with a smaller wheelbase and a fully modified small capacity engine that has to be pushed and revved to produce the hundreds of horses expected.
Not for me, thank you very much. :oops:

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
And 64 different colours of ambient lighting. Really? For what purpose other than someone had a whole bunch of left over diodes they couldn't return. Frankly the quality gap between the CLA and the E-Estate or our new E- Coupe is more like a yawning chasm. My accountant has a theory that the larger the Star on the front the lower the model.
I am learning to live with the CLA as I drive it more but it would never be on my shopping list when there are better and cheaper alternatives. The real problem is the body design that compromises vision and space within the cabin. It might look sexy to a Millennial but the driver's vision is so compromised that it is impossible to park it without using the cameras. It was Batiste Pinin Farina who argued in the 60s that the four corners of a car should be visible from the driver's seat and I have to agree that is a safety concept that we have now lost. He was personally responsible for the Peugeot 404 as well as other similar BMC and FIAT designs. Have we moved too far from motoring into the age of the appliance?
Regards,
Brian

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Brian,
He was right about safety for the driver to see all four corners of the vehicle.
However, this then allowed the driver to be vulnerable as safety started to creep in, while pushing motoring pleasure slightly to the side.
Not only do we now cocoon the driver in a safety cell, with numerous active & passive safety systems and almost now countless airbags to ensure their best chance of survival at the higher speeds we now travel at, we also now have to cater for other things.
Now the Euro NCAP (which our ANCAP copies) has to cater for two additional things.
Pedestrian safety
Repair costs

Cars are now very curved, and slippery not only for aero dynamics, but also so they have less chance of injuring a pedestrian.
This means that all cars will start (they do to a point already) to look the same, as only so many shapes are aero dynamically efficient, while ensuring no leading edges to start deploying the air in an efficient manner around, above & below a car can injure someone.
This now explains the massive leap forward in camera and radar technology for parking and reversing.
Not only do they not want to injur someone, they also want the best chance of not damaging the car for insurance purposes.

This still does not explain those god awful seats, the ambient lighting (I think this is more of a distraction) and crap materials and surfaces.

Yep,
The bigger the bling, the more they sell, millennials don’t care about the driving experience, it’s simply a car, and they are more interested if the badge matches their lifestyle (perceived or real) and their shoes and their handbag.

You are spot on, there certainly are better and cheaper cars out there, but to some they don’t have that badge appeal about them, so people will put up with inferiority.

PS:
As aerodynamics go, you should see the dramas at my factory trying to make a slab fronted, 5m tall house brick slip through the air more efficiently, while towing an even larger house brick behind up to 90 tonnes while trying to cut fuel usage in half. (sigh)

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Patrick - while I understand and appreciate all of these design issues I want to make one simple point. MB has designed a car that is uncomfortable and unsafe because the vision and seating is so compromised. After around 130 years of experience they could do better. Although I am not tempted by the equivalent BMW I have to say that it does not suffer the same fundamental flaws as the CLA.
Maybe one day you can give us here a demonstration of your housebrick? ;)
It is easy to see all four corners of the Spirit and the fuel consumption is quite OK at one petrol station per 100 ks. Quite reasonable for all the walnut and hide it has to carry...:eek:
Regards,
Brian

Patrick_R

Grand Master
I’m one hundred percent with you on this Brian.
I was just trying to give reason why they are now coming up with the crap they are now coming up with, as you said after this much experience, they should be at the top of the heap.

Not to mention, their “loaner” has really put a bad taste in your mouth regarding the brand.
These models are bottom dwellers, it would be interesting to see what a 2021 S Class is like :unsure:

That’s great economy from my future car, one garage is awesome :LOL:
However you left out the 100% wool Wilton carpets and sheepskin overlays.

Yes,
I will try and bring a hiusebrick when there are any in stock that don’t have a customers name on them.
We can build them quick enough.
For those who are not sure what Brian & I are talking about,
Here is the aerodynamic house brick.
At least the seat is much more user friendly.
09B85934-5EF1-4F20-B292-56DB7CDD29F5.jpeg
96D4BA1A-62CC-4BB1-9644-ABA24968B267.jpeg
C64FC383-4C6B-4FD1-A823-68AEB313B432.jpeg

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I'm not sure - it had no AMG badges; just AMG floor mats but then most new MB products do in Australia. The ride and handling were both quite good; it was the rest that was the problem. I also thought the signature of "G Daimler" on the front screen was a little wanky until I discovered that it is engineered into the glass laminate to differentiate a genuine screen from those coming out of the PRC. Apparently the copied screens lack structural integrity. I had coffee yesterday with a friend who has been in sales for MB for many, many years and he maintains that MB currenlty produces an E Class and an S Class and the rest are appliances that make money but cost the company hugely in warranty repairs - especially the 1.3 litre motor used in the 200 and 250 series cars. His view is that Genesis is a product worth watching for quality and value. He also showed me a lovely pristine 1980 280E in silver green that was in for servicing - a lovely genuine concours car and so different from what is now produced.
Regards,
Brian

Styria

The Godfather
Indeed yes to all of you - a very interesting evaluation of the CLA and the Mercedes product. The car, as illustrated by Patrick certainly does look the part, both inside and out, but that is in my opinion. It is the typical present Mercedes styling cue - definitely Mercedes, cannot be confused with that of any other manufacturer, but it is a style that, sooner or later, will become much forgotten. Some may like it, others won't. Just about all cars nowadays have a plethora of curves, creases all over the body, and I daresay that these are in the interest of HAVING to purchase replacement panels from the manufacturer in the event of accidental damage. To attempt any form of panel beating simply would be impossible.

The little Honda Jazz we have is a Japanese built unit with a 1.3 litre engine. Around the city it is a great car, but hilly Motorway sections cause the box to fairly quickly select a fourth, or even third gear. They say that Honda engines thrive on revs, but I am a bit of a "softie" and try and not to unduly push the littlecar. Flat surfaces great - it's got long legs. More importantly about anything else is the sheer reliability of this Honda product - apart from servicing, it's never seen a spanner. I wonder if the GLA could offer this sort of reliability after eight years and about 98,000 kilometers ? I would not be confident. Regards Styria

Patrick_R

Grand Master
You are spot on with your Jazz Styria, and most other Japanese product of the same vintage.
Especially when it comes to no maintenance at all except for basic servicing.

Unfortunately later model European products have never ever seen this level of reliability without a huge input from the owner
I will never recommend any European car to any young person who has a budget and a young family.
Typically, the car they may be able to afford, have not been maintained properly.
They are just hugely unreliable shit boxes.

If I’m asked to find a car for a young family member or friend, I only look at Mazda and Honda, or Kia or Hyundai.

I have a quick saying.
Japanese or Korean, NEVER European.

A neighbour of mine bought a low k 2018 5 series BMW.
It spends more time off the road than on.
It was his dream car.
It’s sending the poor man broke.
This isn’t an un common story with these post 2000 model cars.

As Styria mentions, I feel these new luxury brands are meant to be bought or leased, then handed back after 3-5 years.