Man o War

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Well there's no much happening with him ATM, particulary since he's not running on all 8 cylinders. I suspect a valve, cam, or divider issue. Compression tests are yet to be conducted. Apparently he had water in the fuel at some stage.... Some repairs were conducted, yet the misfire remains. He's the one with the rechargable gas cells and I've posted a few pics regarding that before.

As first sighted in a corner repair centre. Easy to tell he was a 6.9 (grovelling)!

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Under the bonnet:

CIMG5690a.jpg

The good news is I just bought some original BBS Mahle 16x7" wheels. And they've polished up very well, but could use more work. More pics to follow... :)

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Here's a pic from the ad... The BBS logos aren't original and will be replaced with period items if they can be found.

Attachments

• 02755ic_20.jpg
    02755ic_20.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 10

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mark check that you dont have an air leak in the intake manifold as well .The rubber rings are known to crack and leak air. Geoff

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I've had him for a while; I just thought he deserved his own thread! Here's what he looked like after a little cleaning:

CIMG5725.jpg

CIMG5727.jpg

He's covered in dust now because he's not my main focus... but not forgotten!! I wish now I used a car cover before I put him to bed! Thanks for the tip Motec, I'll start the diagnosis soon.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
No need for the tarps now I have a big shed.... Thank god because they were driving me nuts! :)

Tony66_au

You cant trust them, the encourage huge spiders and usually perish within 6 or so months and then disintegrate in the first stiff breeze lol.

Sheds Rule

Lukas

The good news is I just bought some original BBS Mahle 16x7" wheels. And they've polished up very well, but could use more work. More pics to follow... :)

Can you elaborate on the polishing process you used? I have similar wheels needing similar work.

Ta

Lukas

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Well the wheels have been refinished, but it was done on the cheap. New paint has been applied over chipped old paint and the non-visible parts weren't coated at all.

Apparently the PO used metal polish on the outer rims and they did come up well, but I'd imagine it won't last. If the alloy is exposed, I'd suggest they'll oxidise quickly if exposed to the elements.

So the plan is to soda blast (bead blasting may be too harsh and remove the markings), polish the rims, mask the polished bits, etch prime and paint. Finially a clear will be applied to prevent corrosion. At least that's the plan.... And I don't know how many sets I have to do this way, but I'll be well versed by the end!!!! ;):D Pics to follow when the weather's better....

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Well the wheels have been refinished, but it was done on the cheap. New paint has been applied over chipped old paint and the non-visible parts weren't coated at all.

Apparently the PO used metal polish on the outer rims and they did come up well, but I'd imagine it won't last. If the alloy is exposed, I'd suggest they'll oxidise quickly if exposed to the elements.

So the plan is to soda blast (bead blasting may be too harsh and remove the markings), polish the rims, mask the polished bits, etch prime and paint. Finially a clear will be applied to prevent corrosion. At least that's the plan.... And I don't know how many sets I have to do this way, but I'll be well versed by the end!!!! ;):D Pics to follow when the weather's better....

Your plan is quite sound Mark.
That is the right way.

Tony66_au

Those DIY blast units that are gravity fed do a reasonable job and you can try various grit compounds on the inside of the wheel if you are concerned.

Im told that most light grit compounds work as well as garnet or sand grit with these DIY units due to the relatively low air speeds from DIY style compressors, Another avenue im about to explore is the media blasting attachment Gerni have for their pressure washers which uses water to propel the blast media.

Great for non ferrous items like alloy wheels.

BTW I have used the POR 15 clear to coat wheels and it works well and does not seem to be yellowed by UV.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, Man o War, Red Bull, Blue Flame - some imposing titles, for some imposing vehicles - meaning restoration projects. You're lucky Mark you're still young with many years of hard, challenging, yet pleasing work ahead of you - go for it boy, you have my full mental support. Just as a matter of interest, did you ever receive my price for those Lemfoerder Air Cells ? I need to be curious - have you yet established a pecking (pegging ?) order for the cars as far as restoration or work is concerned ? Good luck with everything. Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Red Bull is number one priority as she's got less body issues than the others and thus I hope she'll be on the road sooner. In saying that though, there's plenty of suspension work needed.

I went a bit nuts on buying wheels, taking opportunities that I thought wouldn't come up again for quite a while. Between that and the impending US trip, my funds could take a while to recover! Hopefully I can sell some non-W116 stuff on E-bay soon to provide some assistance.

I have a long list of parts required and some suggested suppliers, but I can't take things further until I have the money. I'm just pottering in the garage at the moment with the things that I have. Cleaning the wheels of years of abuse and I'll be assembling my engine crane soon...

I'm moving Gold Nugget in the next two days so she's under cover and I can start removing the needed parts, including two doors, grill, bumpers, glass, engine and trans, suspension, brakes, interior and heaps of trim pieces. Basically everything except the shell. This will be done in stages when the parts are needed, because I'm almost out of storage space.