Low mileage 6.9

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well, when I say low mileage, I am talking of a genuine 130K. kilometers. I knew of the car, having seen it ten years previously, and owned by a wealthy, and I mean wealthy, enthusiast. I often thought about it, and I was a little "peeved" so to speak, when I heard that it had been bought by a well known club member.

Lucky duck, I thought, with unjustified jealousy, but I promptly put the car out of my mind until.....a few weeks ago, I had a phone call from the very same person that had bought it. His tale was one of woe, taken for a ride money wise (so I discovered), faulty brakes, leaking caliper, drive line vibrations, clonking suspension, you name it and I thought that this was at best a $3K. motor car. It also had a completely, and I mean completely, collapsed back seat, dirty carpets, carpet mats with a black backing that was staining the carpet and really, to all intents and purposes, this car displayed all the signs of an expensive purchase exercise, screaming out aloud "overcapitalisation". Nothing short of that, and unfortunately that is how it turned out.

Luckily enough for the owner, the car possesses of perfect paint work, and is completely rust free - obviously, a huge bonus when we are talking 116s. Driving it, I also found that the low mileage of the engine was certainly evident the way the car virtually "stormed" up to 110 and beyond. It was a bit like a freight train, a little 6.3 like.

Anyway, to the car itself and its mechanical woes. Starting at the front - one collapsed top strut mount, and one quite badly worn on the other side, both bottom strut mounts were beyond serviceable condition - in fact, the one on the right was only finger tight with 2mms. free play. Both subframe mounts were badly squashed, whilst the rear mount of the left hand bottom link was half hanging out. The right Caliper had a bad fluid leak and subsequent dismantling revealed copious rust deposit on both calipers. It took an untold time to remove the Caliper pistons from their respective bores. There was more on the front end and brakes, the main culprit being a leaking and non-operative Brake Servo unit - and they are not easy to remove.

Drive line wise, there were two non genuine flexible couplings, which were replaced by proper 6.9 units. The centre bearing and mount required replacement, as did a broken gearbox mount. So all in all, a tale of woe almost all round, with a very badly shaken owner from a financial point of view. Just a word about that backseat - broken springs, no horsehair, collapsed pleats and it required to have an alternative MB Tex back seat to replace the original unit. The cause of the collapsed backseat - I suspect it was home to a large German Shepherd dog. An expensive 6.9, and it may take two to four years to amortise the outlay that's been required so far. Regards. Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
I thought this was gunna end with you buying the car!! Any pix?

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, the car is not within my compass as far as purchase is concerned. On a dollar basis, it is way beyond my reach - the previous owner had asked $40K. for the car originally ! The new owner, even though he paid nowhere near the original asking figure, should have had this car inspected by someone that would have cared and possessed of some pride in their ability and knowledge to inspect a car like this 6.9. Further inspection has revealed almost spent rear disc brake pads and rear calipers also in not particularly pristine condition.

Incidentally Mark, I have some spare parts for your 420SEL such as rear lights and some grille parts that I would not mind passing on to you. No charge. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
So taking into consideration the body and engine condition it is still a good buy. As new engine is over $20000 . Same for a decent paint job with rust repairs. Well at least $15000 for paint. I have spent a lot more than the starting price on my 6.9 since buying it. It had same problems from almost no use in 17 years.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
What are you trying to tell us Styria?

Helmet, as you would be aware, purchase of a low mileage vehicle need not always be an automatic passport to a trouble free car. In this case, whilst the car is genuine low mileage, it had been badly looked after - not by the previous owner, but by service people that were entrusted with the maintenance of the vehicle. Unfortunately, some people don't really seem to care, or they don't know how to.

I am also trying to stress the importance of a thorough inspection prior to purchase, as this can save considerable expense in due course. Hope this explains some of my principles. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
So taking into consideration the body and engine condition it is still a good buy. As new engine is over $20000 . Same for a decent paint job with rust repairs. Well at least $15000 for paint. I have spent a lot more than the starting price on my 6.9 since buying it. It had same problems from almost no use in 17 years.

Geoff, it will indeed be interesting to see how many dollars you are spending on your car. I know many facets of your restoration, and mechanical outlays, have been voluntary, and I would be interested in your thoughts when the finished product finally passes into your possession. There is no doubt that 6.9s are increasing in value steadily, and the time will come when good examples will really fetch excellent money. Whilst this 6.9 has obviously become somewhat of a headache for its owner, in due course there will be very few specimens with the indicated low mileage, and the excellent bodywork it is endowed with. On that basis, the expense now outlaid will be justified. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Actually they are not at the moment they are still at the bottom off the curve. Just see issues Mark has had trying to sell. I also know off a 6.9 with 10 year old paint new GAHH interior and over 50000 spent in that 10 years even on new chrome. That sold for 1/10th the outlay. even mine I doubt if it would command much more than 10000 when finished. Just see the Problem Michel has had. They are an Orphan car sad but true. And with the cost off fuel I think that will become more true in years to come.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
With any sort of given luck, the right car will always sell for the right money - ultimately. Location, marketing, spur of the moment decisions, plus other quite often unknown factors, will determine if a car is going to sell. How often have we told each other to pay as much money as possible for a good car in the first place ? It still holds true. Sometimes you need to have luck on your side. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
This car is now mobile - just. A drive, albeit quite short, now presents a car with exceptional ride qualities, an exceptionally strong engine and it conveys a feeling of "having it all together". It is quite impressive. Regards Styria

daantjie

Distinguished
Looking at recent ebay values seems as if indeed 6.9 prices are floundering unfortunately. Makes me think that maybe ebay not the best place to try and flog one. Most folks on there want an uber - bargain with the intent of flipping it immediately for big money.
Nice examples are struggling to fetch $20K USD. Let's hope this is indeed the bottom of the curve...

Oversize

Grand Master
I used to think ebay wasnt the place to sell cars but Gumtree isnt any better. In fact having your mobile number as the sole point of contact for buyers is often a pita...

Looks like Blue Flame has finally sold to a guy in NT for $6300. Considering its issues i think thats pretty good.

Styria that sounds good. Send me a PM, text, or call me & we can make the arrangements. Cheers.

Oversize

Grand Master
Oh and well done doing all that work! Those are jobs that can be daunting for even the young ones....