Last weekend's wrenching

More threads by CraigS

CraigS

Finally got around to replacing the front and rear shocks on the 6.3 last weekend. The front ones were sort of OK, although the rebound rate on one was double that of the other, however the rears were good old Munro air shocks, that had no return whatsoever ! Now it has new Bilsteins all around and should handle like it is supposed to. Didn't get a chance to take it out to test because of the weather and having to move a multitude of cars to get it out, but hopefully this weekend.

Also managed to trace the reason for the lack of central locking in the 6.9. Turned out that one of the vacuum hoses had come adrift when I had the booster out to do the heads and I had obviously dragged it under the booster when re-installing it. Now that that is resolved, I still need to find where the leak is !

Also installed a working Hirschmann on the 6.9, which unfortunately did not have a plug attached, and took me quite some time to work out the right configuration.

Just need to set the steering box so that the indicators turn off as they should so that is next weekends job.

OP
CraigS

CraigS

I will do that. I am pretty sure it is the right rear door valve, but will test the complete system once I get the door panels off.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Sounds like a fruitful weekend Craig . :)

Styria

The Godfather
I will do that. I am pretty sure it is the right rear door valve, but will test the complete system once I get the door panels off.

Craig, for a preliminary test, there is no need to take door panels off. Do one circuit at a time, i.e. left and right, with the line to the reservoir in the boot blocked off. If the system is not holding pressure, you can then block off vacuum supply to the rear doors. It is almost a prerequisite that you have a vacuum pump. In years gone by, I have had mechanics test the system by means of an electric motor, but I don't really know, nor did I understand, how they worked the system.

They'd always find a short term solution, especially if the leak was of a major nature, but they could never pin point a very slow leak - the type that might take a couple of hours to show up. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I love your patience and consistency Craig... well done ;)