King of the Mountain: the New Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG is Unleashed in Australia

More threads by Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Bathurst, NSW – The road-going sister of the Mercedes-AMG C-Class DTM (German Touring Car Masters) racing car was released in Australia yesterday and it took place at Australia’s spiritual home of motor racing.

The amazing C 63 AMG sedan, one of the year’s most anticipated new models for the Australian car market, made its first steps on Australian ground by carving its way around the internationally-renowned Mount Panorama racing circuit, one of the world’s most challenging road courses.

C63AMG.png

Commenting on its motor racing underpinnings, Horst von Sanden, managing director for Mercedes-Benz Cars in Australia, was thrilled to share this all new sports model with customers and media at such a special venue.

“This is the ideal playground for this stunning performance saloon: the road-going model of our most successful touring car at the home of touring car racing in Australia,” he said.

“Not only does this car pack class-leading driving enjoyment and performance, it also offers Mercedes luxury and safety for up to five people and their luggage across any distance.”

The C 63 AMG sedan is now the new range-leading model for the multi-award-winning Mercedes-Benz C-Class range.

Echoing its distinct race-like sound across the famous mountain yesterday was the car’s AMG-designed and developed 6.3-litre V8 petrol engine. Developing a peak output of 336 kW and a maximum torque of 600 Nm, this high-revving, naturally aspirated performance engine delivers unrivalled figures in this hotly-contested segment. The C 63 AMG accelerates from zero to 100 km/h in 4.5 seconds; its top speed is electronically limited to 250 km/h.

C63AMG-1.png

Power transmission rests in the capable hands of the AMG SPEEDSHIFT PLUS 7G-TRONIC. Equipped with AMG steering-wheel shift paddles and featuring three drive programs, the seven-speed automatic offers everything from a seriously sporty to a comfort-oriented driving style, and incorporates a ‘throttle blipping’ function when changing down gears.

The outstanding driving pleasure and exemplary handling dynamics are primarily the result of the specially-designed front suspension system in the car, which is unique to the C 63 AMG and not available in any other C-Class model. Enhancing driving agility are features such as the AMG speed-sensitive sports steering and the new, 3-stage ESP® (Electronic Stability Programme), along with specially-developed AMG sports suspension components and 18-inch AMG light-alloy wheels.

Stopping power is nothing short of amazing. The AMG high-performance brake system with large-dimensioned internally ventilated and perforated disc brakes all-round ensures flawless deceleration even during highly dynamic driving.

The quality of design and equipment in the new C 63 AMG is more than a match for its outstanding technology.

The AMG eight-cylinder range-leader differentiates itself visually from the production C-Class more than ever before. In addition to AMG bodystyling, characteristic brand features include the bonnet with power domes, the distinctive AMG radiator grille, flared front wings, the AMG rear apron with a black diffuser insert, the AMG sports exhaust system with two chromed twin tailpipes and the AMG spoiler lip.

C63AMG-2.png

The comfortable interior is dominated by the distinctive AMG sports seats with integrated head restraints, the AMG performance steering wheel in a three-spoke design with a 365-mm rim diameter and a flattened lower section as well as the tubular-design AMG instrument cluster with its AMG main menu.

The combination of expressive design, a decidedly sporty interior and superb everyday practicality makes the C 63 AMG a unique high-performance vehicle.

Deliveries to Australian customers will now commence. The recommended retail price of the new Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG is $139,500 (price excludes dealer delivery and statutory charges).

The release of the C 63 AMG coincides with the 40th birthday of Mercedes-AMG GmbH. This new V8-powered range-leader is already the fifth generation of the AMG C-Class. The family tree goes right back to the 1993 C 36 AMG – the very first vehicle to emerge from the cooperation between Daimler-Benz and AMG.

But the first steps were taken six years before.

The 190 E 3.2 AMG, unveiled in 1987, marked the beginning of the successful career of the dynamic and exclusive mid-range model from Affalterbach.

The key facts: Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG Saloon

Engine...................6208cc petrol V8, 4 valves per cylinder,
Power....................336 kW at 6800 RPM
Torque...................600 Nm at 5000 RPM
Transmission..........AMG SPEEDSHIFT PLUS 7G-TRONIC, rear-wheel drive
0-100 km/h............4.5 seconds
Fuel Consumption...13.5 litres/100km (ADR 80/01)
Emission Standard...EU4
Price......................$139,500 (excludes dealer delivery & statutory charges)

116Benz

Bang for your buck, thats not expensive. AND considering the C Class is not a bad thing to drive in non AMG spec, it should be pretty good.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi 116 Benz, what you say pricewise does make good sense. Value for money wise, the imports have always fared badly when compared with the local product such as the Fords and Commodores.

Now that General Motors are bringing out an 8 litre (I think) very limited Commodore to be priced at round about the $90k. mark, this AMG engined 6.3 does come in at a competitive price -and I know I would rather have the Mercedes.

Incidentally, it is my understanding that all C-Class Mercedes are built in South Africa, but that the AMG product is still the "real item" to come out of Germany - any one able to confirm this ? Furthermore, E - Classes, all built in China ? Would be interesting to know.

Michel, thanks for that info. Indeed, does anyone know if any times were recorded at this launch ? I would love to see a DTM C-Class strut its stuff around Mt. Panorama. Regards Styria

mathew

BTW the right hand drive C-Classes delivered to Australia are coming from the mother country "Germany", there are two reasons for it, Australia though small has one of the fastest growing Mercedes sales and as such they didn't want any perceived quality issues within the Asia Pacific region. Secondly the margin between producing cars in Germany and Africia is narrowing, Mercedes have got very wise when it comes to producing quality cars but keeping construction costs affordable, it only took 100 years lol.

I can only imagine what that C63 goes like, I've driven the S63 and that was out of this world:D:D:D
Cheers Mat

PS my wifes C180 was assembled in South Africia and it's travelled 315,000km and had one water pump, one power steering seal and two sets of balljoints, I'd say the quality is right up there. This car has never broken down and never once not started first turn of the key!!

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
For those interested, I was finally able to get some pictures of the event.

bathurst-7.jpg
bathurst-3.jpg
bathurst-0.jpg
bathurst-1.jpg
bathurst-4.jpg
bathurst-2.jpg
bathurst-5.jpg
bathurst-6.jpg
bathurst.jpg

Last edited:
T

todman

I managed to catch the tail of the Mercedes event on the Thursday and saw a couple of the C63s in action and they certainly look and sound the business. They sounded surprisingly raunchy, even compared to the other AMG stuff floating around. I want one!
I was actually at Bathurst to attend the Festival Of Sporting Cars event over the Easter weekend where Mercedes provided all the course cars including a line of E63s, CLK63s and CLS63s for the group of "Masters" drivers who provided instruction and some training for competitors. I managed to spend some time as an in-car observer on Friday. This allowed me to be a passenger in an E63 beside one of my all-time heroes, Spencer Martin, for a few laps of Mt Panorama - a great experience in an amazing car. Even with the track streaming with water on a couple of laps, the car (and driver) seemed so composed that we could have been out for a quiet drive in the country, except for the distant sound of an angry V8 somewhere below and behind us and the fact that we had to keep slowing down to allow the group of racing sedans and sports cars behind us to catch up.
Also had a look at the lovely 107 500SLC which parked next to the line of AMG jiggers on Sunday at the back of the paddock - all very nice.

Styria

The Godfather
Michel, what a great collection of pics - thanks for sharing those with us. I envy everyone that would have attended (probably by invitation only) this launch - it's the sort of event you could spend hours and not get bored.

Good to get your input Todman - you were certainly one of the lucky ones to be there on the day and to experience the dynamic qualities of an AMG product. As amatter of interest, what did you think of the driving tests themselves ? Were the cars treated with 'kid gloves' or was there some 'serious' driving. especially with Spencer Martin at the helm.

Mathew - interesting information regarding the country of manufacture of the C-Class models - our friend JohnS just recently bought a very, very nice 240 which has taken the place of his 116 - 450SE. Regards, Styria

T

todman

During the time I was in the car everything seemed fairly conservative and calm, although in the rain, even with traction and stability control, the car was pushed hard enough to take a little step sideways exiting The Chase and it certainly sounded angry enough going up the hill. Judging from some accounts I heard, a fair amount of the driving earlier in the week was anything but gentle and everyone seemed very impressed by both the cars and the organisation of the whole Mercedes Benz operation.