It's back!!! (at last)

More threads by 450SE

450SE

After three full, long weeks in the panel shop, the 450SE was returned to its natural habitat this afternoon. First stop - petrol. $115.00. I'd forgotten just how long you need to stand at the bowser for... (a comfortable armchair & a warm lunch would have been nice)

Parts had been flown in from all over for the repair. Germany. Singapore. Western Australia. The car feels even more international now. :D
The panel beater did a great job & I am so far completely satisfied with the job. Tomorrow morning will be the test, when I wash it by hand, looking for imperfections...

Given that I'd only owned it for a fortnight before that twat hit my back end, I had actually forgotten how the paint colour looked on the car. Sad but true.

A day or two before it went in for the reconstructive surgery, I'd given the keys to my mechanic to do whatever he saw fit. A major service, brakes (f&r), timing chain, fuel level sender were all repaired or replaced & a lovely tax invoice supplied just before end of financial year, just in time for me to lodge with Kaptain Krudd.

But, unfortunately - aside from the journey home - I did not get a chance to drive it before sending it away for the crash repair...
...That problem was solved as soon as 5:00pm rolled around this afternoon. It's now a little after midnight & I guess I've managed to sneak in about three hours driving so far. There's a few hundred km scheduled in the diary this weekend with an house auction in the burbs tomorrow, a car club run Sunday morning & finally a drive down the Mornington Penninsula for Sunday lunch.

Don't think the CLS will get much of a look in for a while now... Better chuck it up on blocks. :cool:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Glad it's back and you are happy....

Pity about the CLS.

I simply love the shape.... (of the CLS)
I have been eyeing one at a dealer here...
CLS500 at the right price... :rolleyes:

OP
450SE

450SE

Since Friday, I've racked up close to 600 very enjoyable km & three washes.

Now that I've had a chance to look at the repair more closely, I can say that I am very happy with the quality of the work. I had been terrified about the colour match. This was unfounded. Paint was blended along the rear guard, finishing by the rear door & boot lid line. The entire rear section has been resprayed, blending out under the near side tail light. No need to respray the boot lid.
The second hand tail light is a perfect match for the original. It's funny how a couple of new pieces of rubber in the bumper bars lifts the appearance of the vehicle.

My driving over the weekend was great & varied. Fighting city traffic to the freeways, urban daylight, country at night, open country freeways & twisting mountain passes. I could NOT be happier with the car.
It was my first chance to drive the car properly since servicing it about a month ago. The timing chain replacement makes the car feel more powerful & torquier down low.
I agree with my mechanic that the engine & gearbox mounts should be replaced at some point. He says within a year or so. I think I'll get them done sooner than later. Although I'd be silly to expect NVH levels to be as low as, say, the CLS, I know it can be a little bit better than it is currently.

So now all that's left to do on the car is the following:
- Engine & gearbox mounts
- Upgrade the radio to the modern Becker Mexico, stereo wiring & speakers (but keeping the original speaker covers)
- Full detail inside, out & under bonnet.
- Full set of custom sheepskins, front, rear & centre squabs.
- Bundt alloys - although everybody that I've spoken to has tried to convince me to keep the original hub caps. :mad:

From there, it's just going to be the fussy stuff such as replacing the rub strips on the doors & front bumper bar rubbers... Not *really* required as they're all about 90% - but could be a useful refresher. :cool:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I'm glad everything turned out to your satisfaction. Now is the time to enjoy it.
I'm afraid I would be one of those who recommends keeping the original steel wheels and hubcaps...sorry!! Ultimately though you should ignore all such advice and do what you want. :D
Regards,
Benz-Boy

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
The 450 SE is one of the very few cars that genuinely DOES look better with colour coded hubcaps rather than alloys. I think maybe that is that Mercedes star that makes all the difference.

OP
450SE

450SE

The crowds have spoken. :D
The hub caps stay. (so far there has been 12 people in favour of hubcaps, 1 - that's me - in favour of the bundts).

However, I cringe at the cost of replacing the hubcaps... so if one ever comes off unceremoniously as I go around a roundabout - off they come & on go the bundts! haha

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The crowds have spoken. :D
The hub caps stay. (so far there has been 12 people in favour of hubcaps, 1 - that's me - in favour of the bundts).

However, I cringe at the cost of replacing the hubcaps... so if one ever comes off unceremoniously as I go around a roundabout - off they come & on go the bundts! haha

Don't listen to the hubcap crowds....

Go for the Bundts.....:p

OP
450SE

450SE

Glad it's back and you are happy....

Pity about the CLS.

I simply love the shape.... (of the CLS)
I have been eyeing one at a dealer here...
CLS500 at the right price... :rolleyes:

Thanks Michel.

Make sure you give the CLS a really good test drive if you're keen on it. Mine replaced an '04 E-Class Elegance, which was a nice car, but a little boring stylistically speaking...
The CLS has shocking side & rear 1/4 vision due to a think B & C pillar & low slung roofline & I feel it can be tricky / dangerous turning right onto a busy dual lane roadway. Every rear seat passenger has belted their head getting into the car.
I reckon next time I'll go for the E-Class Avant-Garde because of the panoramic glass roof which I miss & lack of all around vision. However, the CLS does make a statement & if you can look past the compromises - go for it!!

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Now we've thrown a cat amongst the chickens... :D

I feel Bundts (and alloys in general) give a 'lift' to the otherwise 'standard-looking' 116.

With hubcaps, it feels like a Plain Jane.

Go on, YOU WANT the Bundts....

Don't listen to anyone but YOU (and me in this instance :D)

Styria

The Godfather
Hi 450SE, it's a matter of personal choice, as well as condition of both Bundts and hubcaps, AND exterior colour of your car. For instance, on a red body or most dark coloured cars, the colour matched hubcaps would look good - as long as the hubcaps themselves are either unmarked or close to that. They can look quite unsightly if they show kerb damage.

Bundts on the other hand, with the original Silver, can look somewhat drab and unattractive. However, spray them with a nice, bright silver, and they take on a far more attractive appearance. There is no doubt, in my view, that Bundts are the most commonly disliked alloy wheel, yet at no other time has any other Alloy looked so unique.

Nice to know that you have your car back and , furthermore, that you are enjoying it to the degree that you are. Regards Styria

B

BAR

Alloy vs Steel Wheels

Many arguments as for the benefit of alloys, including improved strength, reduced unsprung weight, improved handling and improved looks.

Alloys were and are more expensive than steel rims, but most manufacturers now offer alloys (often referred to as Mags) as standard equipment.

So if you want all the advantages, go for the Bundts... and let me know if you want a set of 4 in very, very good condition. I have them available now.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
So if you want all the advantages, go for the Bundts... and let me know if you want a set of 4 in very, very good condition. I have them available now.

Lemme see now, would they be 15 x 7 by any chance? ;)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Now when would they have made those?

They are bog standard 14" and max tyre size that can be fitted is 215 x 65 x 14

I thought so :eek:

260ebenz

Master
After three full, long weeks in the panel shop, the 450SE was returned to its natural habitat this afternoon. First stop - petrol. $115.00. I'd forgotten just how long you need to stand at the bowser for... (a comfortable armchair & a warm lunch would have been nice)

Parts had been flown in from all over for the repair. Germany. Singapore. Western Australia. The car feels even more international now. :D
The panel beater did a great job & I am so far completely satisfied with the job. Tomorrow morning will be the test, when I wash it by hand, looking for imperfections...

Given that I'd only owned it for a fortnight before that twat hit my back end, I had actually forgotten how the paint colour looked on the car. Sad but true.

A day or two before it went in for the reconstructive surgery, I'd given the keys to my mechanic to do whatever he saw fit. A major service, brakes (f&r), timing chain, fuel level sender were all repaired or replaced & a lovely tax invoice supplied just before end of financial year, just in time for me to lodge with Kaptain Krudd.

But, unfortunately - aside from the journey home - I did not get a chance to drive it before sending it away for the crash repair...
...That problem was solved as soon as 5:00pm rolled around this afternoon. It's now a little after midnight & I guess I've managed to sneak in about three hours driving so far. There's a few hundred km scheduled in the diary this weekend with an house auction in the burbs tomorrow, a car club run Sunday morning & finally a drive down the Mornington Penninsula for Sunday lunch.

Don't think the CLS will get much of a look in for a while now... Better chuck it up on blocks. :cool:

I have dug up an old post from 2009.

Cost to fill up a 450SE back in '09 was $115 how much would it cost to fill a 450SE 4.5ltr V8 with today's fuel prices more I bet??