Ineffective Horns

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Ever wondered why your horns sound whimpy; like they belong on a Barina, or Corolla? Ever hesitated to blast your horn, because it's simply too embarrassing? Well I wondered the same thing, especially seeing as they were both working. A closer inspection with a screwdriver revealed that the bottom of one had rusted out....

CIMG6497.jpg

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Michel, are these the ones you have previously mentioned to me, and do you have just the one, or two of them ? I have looked at the advertised price on ebay and it is very reasonable. However, I am taking a different route.

Hi Mark, the function of Mercedes horns on the 116 range can vary quite a bit from car to car. The standard items are of high and low tone, and if one in particular does not function, and the other's quality of sound is marginal, you'll get the symptom you describe so well - wimpy, and don't use it. :eek:

The course I am going to pursue is different - as most of you know, 6.9s are fitted with four horns - two for City use, and two for Country, with a separate matching rocker switch just above the Fan and Air Con dials. Well, most Country horns either don't work, or can at best be described as feeble in sound - to the extreme. My solution will be to fit two ROVER P% 3 litre horns - beautiful in quality, and even better in sound. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hi Michel, are these the ones you have previously mentioned to me, and do you have just the one, or two of them ? I have looked at the advertised price on ebay and it is very reasonable. Regards Styria

I do have 2 sets Godfather.

I don't know if your recall me blowing my horn (so to speak) when I left this morning in the old Magna?

That is one of those Stebles.. I love it.:p

Styria

The Godfather
Ah I see, well heard - it did occur to me that it had a very loud, yet melodic tone. Very impressive. Regards Styria

260ebenz

Master
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I fitted 2 new horns (hi/low tones) to both a Corolla and a Colt (!) quite a while ago. They were all Bosch units from Burson, but as an experiment I tried standard ones (like the picture above) in the Colt and the Corolla got the snail type. I discovered the snail type were far more effective than the standard looking horns. All were reasonably priced.

Some 6.9s were fitted with Fanfair (?) horns (town - standard set, country - snail type), with a switch on the dashboard as described. Styria, I don't believe the town/country horns were standard here, but rather an option. There's quite a few Aussie cars that don't feature them.

Tony66_au

Gents, I second Michels sentiment.

Those Stebel horns have been around for years and are excellent @ 130 Db.

I have fitted maybe 8 sets of these over the years and they represent very good value for money and you definitely get more bang for your buck.

I had a set on my 265 volvo and they are responsible for more than a few heart attacks id say.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, them's (?) are fanfare horns :D, but I do believe that most of the later models, say from 1978 onwards and certainly in Australia (as best as I know) all 6.9s I know had the additional switch on the dash. I suspect that early ones, or perhaps the ones that came from England, did not have that feature. What's the situation with your 6.9s - you'd probably be in a better position to determine what's what. Regards Styria