The White Whale (3686)

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
This one arrived at my place on Friday! Lovers of the 6.9 should look away because this one's been through hell.... :(:confused::mad: It shocks me how badly some were treated. I give you Moby Dick (I really should stop naming my parts cars):

CIMG7363.jpg

CIMG7336.jpg

CIMG7338.jpg

CIMG7362.jpg

CIMG7340.jpg

CIMG7342.jpg

CIMG7351.jpg

CIMG7356.jpg

CIMG7355.jpg

CIMG7352.jpg

CIMG7348.jpg

CIMG7350.jpg

CIMG7349.jpg

CIMG7357.jpg

CIMG7358.jpg

CIMG7359.jpg

CIMG7361.jpg

CIMG7343.jpg

CIMG7344.jpg

CIMG7347.jpg

Last edited:

260ebenz

Master
Hello Mark judging from the photos the 6.9 is going to keep you busy.

Poor Moby Dick has a bad case of cancer.

All the best with the project Mark.

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
hmmmm.. how sad...:(

If it wasn't a 6.9, you wouldn't even bother towing it home!

Styria

The Godfather
Mark, I have given up hope of ever selling you any of my parts ! This must be an English import, and the car does have some distinct possibilities. It will obviously keep you young and fit. THERE ARE BOUND TO BE SOME GOOD PARTS - HOPEFULLY. Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Mark, I have given up hope of ever selling you any of my parts ! This must be an English import, and the car does have some distinct possibilities. It will obviously keep you young and fit. THERE ARE BOUND TO BE SOME GOOD PARTS - HOPEFULLY. Regards Styria

Hahaha!! :D;) Actually there's lots of good bits but I'll still need help with plenty and I'm sure some things will have to be rebuilt despite my good supply of cores.... This ones actually an Aussie 8/79. It is a bit curious in that it's an early-ish chassis number with an early thermofan, but it has a late compliance date. In comparison Silver Arrow has a compliance date of 2/79 but has a later chassis number and a late thermofan. Interesting....

Shame that this car has no speedo and no history, plus a yuk combo of white with tan interior. Particularly since the body isn't quite as bad as I thought. Does anyone know anything about it?? Apparently owned by a guy in Kew who also owned several 600s.

And I'm not sure if anyone noticed a strange number painted on the LH rocker cover? V78 644 - any ideas what that means, as I've never seen that before and it looks factory?

Styria

The Godfather
Mark, I just hope that you will be able to stay on top of your restoration projects. This one, that you have just acquired, it appears to be far worse than your other 'spare parts' car - have you had the engine running and, of course, the suspension seems to be up in the correct position - is it held up hydraulically, or are you lucky enough to have the genuine rubber blocks ? Or possibly timber blocks ?

I must admit that I would not have taken on a car in this condition - I repeat what I have said many times - 'how can owners let a car deteriorate to this extent with a car costing more than a Rolls Royce when new' - it is beyond my understanding. Good luck with it - you have my blessings. Regards Styria

Lukas

That is sad, but not as rusty as it could be :)

What's the giant take-away-shop salt shaker in the engine bay - alarm siren?

If you have the space, grabbing a bitzer like this for a few hundred $ (max), or hopefully less, is always a good deal. Especially if you have a fleet to think of!

Lukas

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Well I paid more than a few hundred bucks for this one, but I needed struts anyway and that alone was gunna set me back over $1K. So I reckon I got a good deal, considering I've now got a spare of almost everything else.... Not so long ago the wreckers wanted $5K for just an engine!

Yep that'd be the alarm for which I have no keys or instructions... I find it amazing that this type of stuff regularly goes missing; glad I don't need it.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Oh BTW it seems the car has been self-supporting for some time, so the struts are way better than what's currently on Red Bull

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, that's a great start. Have you had the engine running ? Generally spaking though, that's the last thing you need to worry about. It's all the other things that are likely to fall off. Regards Styria

260ebenz

Master
Going off topic unlike me but I have to say this and just to add a bit of light humour if that is okay Godfather?

All this talk about magnets I myself instead of being a 6.9 magnet I think a chic magnent sounds much better!
:D

Anyhow back on topic Oversize good luck with your 6.9 parts car.

Cheers.

Helmet

Connoisseur
Going off topic unlike me but I have to say this and just to add a bit of light humour if that is okay Godfather?

All this talk about magnets I myself instead of being a 6.9 magnet I think a chic magnent sounds much better!
:D

Anyhow back on topic Oversize good luck with your 6.9 parts car.

Cheers.

Careful Tim, I'll use my Star Trek pic again :):D

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I've sealed the car from the weather and intend to move it soon. I haven't started it yet because the aux trans cooler pump has been removed and I need to rig up something temporary so she doesn't pump ATF everywhere.

Once that's done I'll change the oils and filters, so she's well protected internally. I'll clean the oil tank in the process too. The water pump's leaking so it's pointless adding the correct coolant, but I'll add water when I warm her up.

I'll be trying to find a history for the car including the data card. If there's nothing worthy of keeping the car intact, I'll put her on stands and start the stripping process, starting with the struts.

It'll be interesting to strip the car and I'll be learning lots in the process. Pics as I go....

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
BTW those plastic W126 hubcaps went straight into the bin; I didn't even consider selling them to anyone, as they don't belong on ANY Merc! Just doing my bit for the cause..... ;):D

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Stripping is a great way to learn how it all fits together and how it works as one machine made of thousands of pieces. I stripped a number of Lancias (Flavias and Betas) a few years back and I still reckon I could assemble one now - in my sleep.
Good luck with it all.
Regards,
Brian

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Reviving an old thread with new developments. This car will be the most radical in my plans. I just managed to score a AMG rear spoiler which will complete the look with my AMG badge... I’m not a fan of side skirts but the front and rear spoilers are cool!

C5-A5-FE26-7932-47-EA-9532-5190-A300522-A.jpg

372-E66-EB-E510-45-E2-B973-2193-B28-BE138.jpg

8-A1-DCB4-B-98-C0-4-C97-912-A-B2900-A1-C7573.jpg

D5-BEB8-FD-1794-46-F3-B9-D1-142-FFFCC63-BA.jpg

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Can't wait to ree this one back on the road!