I will give anything a go!

More threads by Mercules

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
Whilst all the centre console & stuff is out, I would like to re-trim some of it - like the kick panels and under-dash coverings. Some of these pieces are starting to disintergrate from moisture and age (don't we all).

For those in the know - is it better to glue or staple the trim onto these parts and is a foam backing reallly necessary?

Cam

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Cam, not really sure which items of trim you refer to. None of the 'lower quarter' kick panels (next to your feet) have foam on them, and neither do the 'knee rolls'. On some models. particularly earlier, those panels are plain plastic, whilst on later models they are covered in velour - same deal as your carpets.

The black 'heater distribution' panels do have foam and underfelt, but you shouldn't have to touch those. BTW, what's your dash like - cracked ? If so, this is the time to replace it. Let me know if you could. Regards Styria

Parks

Hi Cam, for the knee pads you glue them not staple, and you should use backless carpet for this , carpet comes in backed with a hard density foam and unbacked..... If you want to borrow my glue gun over the weekend you are more than welcome, if you need to know anything else just ask mate

OP
M

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
Thanks guys - i guess i have to decide on a material now... my bother had his Galaxie trimmed in a vinyl material -had the texture of coase suede - looks amazing and is apparently very durable... I just can't for the life of me remember what its called! I will be speaking to him later this week so I will get the product name off him.

Have been thinking about the carbon fibre panels instead of wood grain (damn you for planting the seed in my mind benzboy) will have to work out a curved piece for the dashboard edges and maybe take a mould of the heater controls backing.

BTW Styria, the dash has more cracks than a plumbers convention but I have a really good fibreglass mould that covers the entire top half! Can you get that vinyl paint in ANY colour?

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Cameron, I have another dash with no cracks in black - in fact, I have two of them. Vinyl paint can be mixed to any colour you want or need. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Have been thinking about the carbon fibre panels instead of wood grain (damn you for planting the seed in my mind benzboy) will have to work out a curved piece for the dashboard edges and maybe take a mould of the heater controls backing.

You might start a trend here Mercules..:D

Styria

The Godfather
Some little while ago, when I went to see young 6.9 forever at his splendid factory, he did show me the roll of carbon fibre (plus a few other things) and I iimediately put it in the far left hand corner of whatever brains I may have - for future reference.

I decided, however, that one thing at a time was good fishing - in other words, his issues took preference. Trust Mercules to light the candle ! Regards, Styria

B

BAR

Thanks guys - i guess i have to decide on a material now... my bother had his Galaxie trimmed in a vinyl material -had the texture of coase suede - looks amazing and is apparently very durable... I just can't for the life of me remember what its called! I will be speaking to him later this week so I will get the product name off him.QUOTE]

There's a wonderful fabric, used in upholstery for lounge chairs and other furniture. It has the appearance and texture of suede, but it is made form microfibre and is very washable. The name is Ultra Suede.

It's available from most fabric suppliers such as Spotlight.

Is this what you were referring to?

6.9forever

Noble
...or the (probably much) more expensive - certainly than anything found in Spotlight - Alcantara. As it's found in up-market boats and Ferraris it would be good.

B

BAR

Alcantra is found in down market Holdens.

It's a fabric version of suede. Used in car seats, because it has the 'look and feel' of a leather product but not so slippery.

One generally finds it used where one places one's derriere!