Hydrogen Conversions

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Looks like it’s not quite the silver bullet I’d hoped. In order to keep NOx down, mixtures must be set as such that it roughly halves the power compared to a petrol equivalent. Hardly an appealing option! Then there’s the bulky high pressure vessel and small atoms which have a nasty habit of leaking and creating a highly explosive environment!

Hopefully petrol will continue to be available long into the future for our our classic cars, but I’d imagine the price per litre will be soul destroying!!

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Nice explanation, however totally unpractical for conversions, not to mention destroying originality.
I believe petrol will be available for at least 40 to 50 years to come.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Yes liquid hydrogen is even worse & extremely volatile! Not exactly ideal for personal use. I was hoping it might ensure our internal combustion engine would live on post petrol but it’s not looking very viable unfortunately.

However with a 4 year wait for my favourite machinist to rebuild an engine, I think ICEs will be around for long after I’m gone.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Gents,
The difference with the Hindenburg is that the Hydrogen was in large expansion bladders.
The air ship became lighter than air to fly, by releasing compressed hydrogen from steel cylinders into very large bladders.
They then pumped the hydrogen back into the steel tanks to allow the airship to reduce height.
Just like the safer helium we see today in balloons, and modern air ships.
A tank of hydrogen (as with helium) dies not float. But when you expand it into a giant bladder (like a kids balloon) it becomes lighter than air, thus float.

The Hindenburg explosion was not so much an explosion, but a very large uncontrolled fire due to the sheer capacity of the fuel (and air) available in an expanded form.

Cars don’t have this type of issue as the hydrogen is not expanded as such, and less susceptible to ignition from a basic thing like static electricity which ignited the Hindenburg.
I also understand the hydrogen tanks are very fire resistant, as are car type LPG tanks.

They couldn’t get the earth strap connected quick enough, and when it got close enough to the anchoring tower ZAP.
You can see the earth cable in the above image.

Here are what some of the German airship tanks and bladders looked like.
3AE17B55-4B05-4F1D-A646-BEE18B9651F4.jpeg
C3EABD1E-4993-4AED-9243-8A50FB173E56.jpeg0120EBA7-35EA-451C-8B1F-55BB3FCEA4DD.jpeg

sean sherry

Master
Gents,
The difference with the Hindenburg is that the Hydrogen was in large expansion bladders.
The air ship became lighter than air to fly, by releasing compressed hydrogen from steel cylinders into very large bladders.
They then pumped the hydrogen back into the steel tanks to allow the airship to reduce height.
Just like the safer helium we see today in balloons, and modern air ships.
A tank of hydrogen (as with helium) dies not float. But when you expand it into a giant bladder (like a kids balloon) it becomes lighter than air, thus float.

The Hindenburg explosion was not so much an explosion, but a very large uncontrolled fire due to the sheer capacity of the fuel (and air) available in an expanded form.

Cars don’t have this type of issue as the hydrogen is not expanded as such, and less susceptible to ignition from a basic thing like static electricity which ignited the Hindenburg.
I also understand the hydrogen tanks are very fire resistant, as are car type LPG tanks.

They couldn’t get the earth strap connected quick enough, and when it got close enough to the anchoring tower ZAP.
You can see the earth cable in the above image.

Here are what some of the German airship tanks and bladders looked like.
View attachment 23053
View attachment 23054View attachment 23055
The most informative articles I have read on the use of Hydrogen for Vehicles Especially the attachment on how they work. Australia has abundant free Energy ..
The giver of all life ..the Star we call the Sun.
Harness this Energy source, in a portable form, by converting it to Electrical Energy, problem solved.
Fortescue Metals are on the right track.