Handbrake and Disc Rotor

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Sooner or later, one will need to replace disc brake rotors. The removal and fitting procedure for front and rear assemblies is markedly different, and this thread will concentrate on the rear assembly. At times, old discs can be stubborn to remove, and it helps to really belt the hub part of the disc with a sizeable hammer - make sure, of course, that the handbrake is off, otherwise you achieve nothing. In addition, you will also need to remove the disc brake caliper, and I tend to disconnect the caliper, steel line and flexible hose as one unit. Have a 14mm Open-Ender and an 11mm claw spanner handy to separate the various pipes and hose.

Setting up the operation of the handbrake can be achieved by two means. THe first is to completely lock the adjustment wheel and then release by three clicks. THat method is fine if you have an inspection hole in the disc hub. That facility is not always machined into the hub - thre seems to be no way of telling what you finish up with when you purchase the replacement disc rotor. So the second method is to leave the disc off, and adjust the serrated wheel continuously with frequent fitting of the disc. When it is impossible to fit the disc, you know you have gone too far.Just takes a bit of time and feel for the job.

MechanicalWork093_zpsc3100d65.jpg

THe above picture illustrates the tool and method I use in bolting the rotor hub to the driveshaft. If you use just your hand (fingers), it is difficult to locate the long bolt in the threaded hole of the axle. By using the clamp as illustrated, it is easy to locate the thread and start screwing in. I am a little bit sorry in not taking photos of the handbrake/shoe and szerrated wheel assembly for illustrative purposes, but it can be a little tricky to adjust the handbrake mechanism properly. One other facet relating to caliper refitting - luckily enough, on the 116s the centering position of the caliper in relation to the disc is automatically attained. On 108/109s, there is no such luxury. It becomes a matter of using appropriate thickness shims to attain that central position. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Helmet, of course, there are holes in the hub, obviously five for the bolts, one to locate the drum part to the hub (maybe I got the terminology inside out, and upside down ! :D), and there is one additional hole which, of course, is the inspection or adjustment hole for the serrated adjustment wheel. On some disc rotor drums, the inspection hole is much larger, and therefore adjustment is greatly facilitated by the larger opening. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo to illustrate that aspect. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
With the appropriate adjusting tool, the wheel stud holes should be sufficient to adjust the parkbrake shoes.

Obviously you need to remove the calipers but I never remove the hoses unless they need replacing. Use old wire coat hangers to hang the calipers rather than have them suspended by the rubber hoses.

Why remove the driveshaft bolt???

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Mark, I've not seen the proper "adjusting tool" - what is it, do you have a description or maybe even a photo. If you examine the photo I posted, you will see that the inspection hole is very small. My adjusting tool is a thin bladed screwdriver. The axle retaining bolt did not need to be removed. In this instance, I rebuilt the calipers and fitted new flexible brake hoses. Regards Styria

Helmet

Connoisseur
With the appropriate adjusting tool, the wheel stud holes should be sufficient to adjust the parkbrake shoes.

Obviously you need to remove the calipers but I never remove the hoses unless they need replacing. Use old wire coat hangers to hang the calipers rather than have them suspended by the rubber hoses.

Why remove the driveshaft bolt???

That's what I was eluding too. I usually adjust handbrake shoes with wheel off the ground and one wheel bolt removed :)

Oversize

Grand Master
What inspection hole? If there's one on the backing plate, forget that! If you mean the extra hole in the rotor, that's for the later model cars that use a small bolt to hold the rotor onto the hub. In fact you may have orientated the rotor incorrectly and not aligned the small threaded hole with the hole in the rotor. Using the wheel bolt holes is the easiest method.

You can buy regular parkbrake adjusting tools which will also work on MBs, or use a narrow flat blade screwdriver. Slightly bend the shaft about 20mm from the tip to give better leverage on the star wheel.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, just not quite able to understand your reference to an inspection hole in the backing plate - are you referring to another component and then calling that component backing plate ?

If you examine the photograph, there are seven holes. Five to accommodate the wheel bolts, a sixth to act as a locator between hub and rotor, and the seventh one, with the machined chamfer, used as the inspection hole, and the orifice to insert a thin bladed screw driver to adjust the operation of the serrated wheel. There is obviously no way that anyone, with a bit of knowledge, could locate the rotor incorrectly in relation to the hub.

Helmet, I am aware that the handbrake shoes can be adjusted merely by removing one of the wheel bolts, with the help of a sharp pencil light and aforementioned thin bladed driver. Having a hoist helps considerably in getting eye level to tie in with the hole provided by the removal of the wheel bolt. Regards. Styria