:cool:

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhh..
He's too chicken to hurt the engine...
CHEEKYWINKWinCE.jpg

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
you know what I would pay to see?

ok picture this:

Styria is at the lights in his Gleaming Beauty, a bowler cap on, some purple haired punker with metal sticking out of his face...you know the type pulls along side him in his VC commodore, milo tin exhaust...stupid stickers...BOOM BOOM radio playing rap music...you know the type.....

lights change.....Styria floors it, tyres squealing all the way through the lights, the kid thinks he has had a bad trip of glue and can't believe his eyes....

I know vivid imagination

:eek:

Indeed....
very vivid..

well time to go home and have a glass of Red Merlot from the Barossa Valley
God's Hill...... simply the nectar of the gods

good night

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I guess one could say that those first few steps have been taken without too many mishaps. It is nice to hear an even and healthy sounding exhaust note when at idle, with no vibration, great oil pressure (which had been of concern to me), but obviously no fuel consumption figures.

I have managed to run out of petrol on the M$which, really, was quite a PITA - had to get rescued by No. 1 son who luckily happened to be at home when I rang. Normally, the red reserve light provides ample warning, but it did not even come in, so I really don't know what happened.

The steering coupling gave up the ghost again (that means no steering ! - don't all laugh or s######), and it was very convenient that it happened right outside my home. Phew ! I'll refer to that again in due course under the appropriate thread.

So, all in all, I am a very happy chappie - and alive to tell the story. The underbonnet section is quite spic and span, and I am proudly enclosing some photos for perusal.

mercedesbenz-100years386.jpg

mercedesbenz-100years387.jpg
mercedesbenz-100years389.jpg

mercedesbenz-100years388.jpg

Regards Styria

s class

looking good! What are all those unused sheet metal brackets on the left inner fender for?

s class

This is the first closeup view I've seen of the RHD hydro plumbing, and I must say it really is very different to the LHD cars.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
This is the first closeup view I've seen of the RHD hydro plumbing, and I must say it really is very different to the LHD cars.

BUT..............

Your cars must be RHD :confused:

s class

Nope Michel, my cars are both private imports - the red one was delivered in Dusseldorf Germany, the blue one in Finland. Of the 8 or 9 or so 6.9's in South Africa, only one is RHD. All are euro spec I believe.

oscar

Must admit, I thought trust rusty was RHD. BTW, those brackets on GB are for styria's stainless steel custom washer reservoir - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Styria, is this the third time the steering coupling has failed? Is a replacement steering shaft in order perhaps? I know you've explained what's going on but I can't believe it's happened again.

GB's looking fantastic BTW, glad to hear everything else is running smooth.

G

GreaseMonkey

That windscreen washer tank is something else, ask him nice and he will post a photo of it.
Car looked good yesterday Styria.
Chris M.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I can't believe the steering failed again.....:eek:

-bb-

Noble
That windscreen washer tank is something else, ask him nice and he will post a photo of it.

It's in a pic I took yesterday:

1000900qf3.jpg

SELfor50

It's in a pic I took yesterday:

1000900qf3.jpg

I get the slight feeling that the "windscreen washer tank" might be intended for something else?! And if not, then it should be! :rolleyes:

I'll be quiet now. :)

BenzBoy

Grand Master
You're dead right there M8!!! It's a hydraulic reservoir from the left hand track of a Panzer. It even bears the correct part code which I believe is; BUDGIE2089469376-1(a). (b) is for the right hand side.
Now if this were in my car it would be a very smart Laphroaig Dispenser, releasing just the right amount of nectar to keep my glass topped up on a long drive. I doubt Mr Styria would use it as such, though. :p He is quite an abstemious young fellow. :D
Regards,
BenzBoy

G

GreaseMonkey

Laphroaig is indeed nectar, but can sometimes be a bit 'oaky' on a clean palette. May I recommend a lighter single malt, or even an Irish like Bushmills for those occasions.
I still think Bombay Sapphire 'rules' or, indeed, 'rocks' (to use the vernacular with my silly hat on backwards) when a G&T is called for, but whatever, it would be plain rude to not have one of each on hand at all times should visitors come calling.
Could the relevant optics be fitted in the rear of a G-N Phantom?
Chris M.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I can't believe the steering failed again.....:eek:

May as well keep talking about this in this section. I feel like a complete dill in not having been able to rectify this problem. I know what causes the problem, I know what's required to fix it, and I WOULD IMAGINE, and I am confident in saying so, that the problem is fixed now.

So why have I not fixed it previously ? Well, the first time I was unaware why the coupling CAME OFF THE SPLINE. When refitting it to the spline, I did not realize that it was partially slipping off the square inner shaft.

So, second time round, I fitted the coupling to the shaft first, and tightened up with one of those silly star headed Allen bolts, not realizing that, as I was sliding the coupling onto the spline, I was again pulling it off the square shaft. I had established by that time the reason for the inner spline to have the ability to be pushed in and out. The other problem was a distinctive lack of tools and I could only knock the square shaft with coupling attached against the splined shaft of the box. Because of lack of space, I could not get enough of a push to drive the coupling onto the square shaft. Couplings, square shafts, this that and the other, you must be sick of this by now...I am.

But, the show must go on. So, this time I attached vise grips to the square shaft and had that arrangement abutting against the fire wall - in a sort of fashion - well, as best as possible.That should largely have stopped the shaft from moving inwards too far. I then fitted the coupling and belted it home - again, as best as possible. I then used a conventional Allen headed bolt and tightened it hard, all the time trying to keep an eye on how far the coupling was going on.

I then fitted the coupling to the splined shaft, and again tightened it hard with another conventional Allen headed bolt.

After it was all completed, I fed a thin needle through the opening split of the coupling, and I THINK that the coupling is on far enough at each end. Last but not least, I will need to paint the shaft so that it will be fairly easy to visually check for any movement. I think I've got it licked. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hmmmmmmm....
I hope so.... :rolleyes:

May as well keep talking about this in this section. I feel like a complete dill in not having been able to rectify this problem. I know what causes the problem, I know what's required to fix it, and I WOULD IMAGINE, and I am confident in saying so, that the problem is fixed now.

So why have I not fixed it previously ? Well, the first time I was unaware why the coupling CAME OFF THE SPLINE. When refitting it to the spline, I did not realize that it was partially slipping off the square inner shaft.

So, second time round, I fitted the coupling to the shaft first, and tightened up with one of those silly star headed Allen bolts, not realizing that, as I was sliding the coupling onto the spline, I was again pulling it off the square shaft. I had established by that time the reason for the inner spline to have the ability to be pushed in and out. The other problem was a distinctive lack of tools and I could only knock the square shaft with coupling attached against the splined shaft of the box. Because of lack of space, I could not get enough of a push to drive the coupling onto the square shaft. Couplings, square shafts, this that and the other, you must be sick of this by now...I am.

But, the show must go on. So, this time I attached vise grips to the square shaft and had that arrangement abutting against the fire wall - in a sort of fashion - well, as best as possible.That should largely have stopped the shaft from moving inwards too far. I then fitted the coupling and belted it home - again, as best as possible. I then used a conventional Allen headed bolt and tightened it hard, all the time trying to keep an eye on how far the coupling was going on.

I then fitted the coupling to the splined shaft, and again tightened it hard with another conventional Allen headed bolt.

After it was all completed, I fed a thin needle through the opening split of the coupling, and I THINK that the coupling is on far enough at each end. Last but not least, I will need to paint the shaft so that it will be fairly easy to visually check for any movement. I think I've got it licked. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well, I have just read, or re-read, the thread from go to whoa. First comment - I can't believe that it was started thirteen years ago, and I admit to having little satisfaction for all the work I carried out at that time, and also at other times on account of many. many hours spent at the time - however, on reflection today, how good has it turned out to be - only one word to describe it now - brilliant.

In those thirteen years, not a single drop of water or oil lost - come to think of it, no petrol leaks, and Gleaming Beauty starts faithfully each and every time. I guess I was super fussy the way all maintenance and repairs were done. There is brief reference to the Auto Electrician that fixed my electrical gremlins, but did an absolutely rotten job in refitting the under dash components - it was woeful. Ray is retired now, and I find it is becoming more and more difficult to secure the services of "real and properly" trained tradespeople. Many have retired, just about all charge an absolute mint for their labour. Apart from major bodywork under the guidance of Jerry, I have had to do very little work on GB and she is still quite pristine performing sterling work as a mule for checking 6.9 Hydraulic Components. Engine still super quiet (by 6.9 standards), and as best as can be determined, does not burn nor lose engine oil. Everything under the bonnet is still looking close enough to when I first rebuilt the complete top end and a host of other work. Regards Styria