Glass colour

More threads by Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The 690SEL is fitted with windows that have a dark yet vibrant green colour.

However, I don't recall seeing that on any other 116.

Is it something so unique, or have I not noticed it on anyone else's car?

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Neutral tint is a sort of an olive green. This sort of tint retards all of the colours of the spectrum in equal amount. Does it look like that? Remember what the old colour slides used to look like when they were accidently exposed to light?

I have seen another sort of tint which has a much more likeable green hue to it than that mentioned above, and goes well with green cars.

Styria

The Godfather
The information that I have by way of verification of part numbers, , all 6.9s were fitted with heat resistant glass as standard as distinct from the other models in the W116 range. This feature may well be evident by way of the slightly tinted colour of the glass, although I cannot be sure of that. I have seen, and in fact still have, a set of similarly tinted glass that had been fitted to a long wheelbase 109 - in fact a 6 cylinder 280SEL dating from 1968, so it appears that this feature was available prior to the introduction of the 116 range.

I still have a set of factory tinted sideglass that I removed from a Silver Green 6.9 some while ago and I could well fit that set to Gleaming Beauty when she is repainted by Michel's Jerry - I have four doors on hand to take the place of the ones on the car at the moment - somewhat rust afflicted and obviously the glass could be fitted to those doors. Regards Styria

Last edited:

John S

From your comment Styria, it would seem that all 6.9's were not fitted with the heat absorbing glass as standard, which surprises me. Was it an option on the rest of the W116 range?

Lukas

The blue 6.9 certainly has the same effect - I think it's listed as an option code for the car too (don't have the list here sorry).

MB_Mike

Connoisseur
I believe that my 280SE has the green glass listed as optioned. The problem is only 2 of the 4 doors has it. I am not sure if it was replaced at one time or perhaps they only wanted to pay to have 1/2 the car done

Styria

The Godfather
I believe that my 280SE has the green glass listed as optioned. The problem is only 2 of the 4 doors has it. I am not sure if it was replaced at one time or perhaps they only wanted to pay to have 1/2 the car done

Hi MB Mike, your guess is as good as anyone else's ! I tend to think that the doors have been fitted as a replacement from another car. ChrisP. who now owns "Wilhelm" (a 6.9 I had owned and used for a period of five years) - I tend to think, but cannot be certain, that it had its four doors replaced at some stage during its life. I had always found the car to have a fairly hot interior. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well, I certainly went ahead with the replacement of all of my doors from a Silver Green that I dismantled, and I also fitted all of the glass from that car to my Gleaming Beauty. Talking about tints from manufacturers or otherwise, when Julie bought her Honda Jazz in 2013 (yes, eight years ago), the salesman suggested that they (the dealer) tint the windows before taking delivery. We declined at the time, because the price of a contractor would have been well below the Honda price. Guess what - the Honda's windows have an impregnated tint from the factory. Mind you though, with the huge frontal glass area, the little car will get quite hot inside, and it is just as well that the Air Conditioning unit does such an excellent job. Regards Styria

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Window tint in Australia is essential, especially if you use a car or truck for business.
The main factor is UV.
Nearly all window tint in this country is 99% UV proof, which is the killer to skin and car internals.
Heat reflection is also a good part of it today, and of course we have laws about light transfer through the tint.

Every single member of my family has a good tint on all their cars, as UV is huge contributor to melanoma.

100% of trucks we sell today has window tint fitted during its pre delivery stage.