gauge problem

More threads by Pete49

Pete49

Distinguished
Actually a couple questions. On my 450SEL the fuel gauge works when it feels like. Temp,oil pressure and amp gauge all ok. I've checked the tank sender and its ok. Sometimes all of them stop and then work again but the fuel gauge not so much.
Also a question on the speedo. Its in mph and I have access to a kph version but wonder if it would be out due to gearing?
Pete

Oversize

Grand Master
Pull out the sender & remove the protective cover. Reconnect the sender to the loom & with the ignition on move the float up n down. Erattic movement will indicate a bad contact. Check the earths for the cluster too.

If both Kmh & mph speedos have the same max speed I’d assume they would read correctly.

OP
P

Pete49

Distinguished
OK I'm sticking with the original speedo and now use a HUD in km/h.

The sender was good so worked out its definitely an earth problem. Any one have an idea as to which wire on the coupler to the instrument panel is the earth? Can I just run an earth wire to the panel that has the gauges as the clock side is OK. I will be re-soldering the earth connection to the fuel gauge too.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Somebody did add an extra earth to the instrument cluster of my 300SE. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of it, so probably not much help. it was an extra ring connection on to one of the screws that touched a metal bit.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
it might have been to one of the screws that goes into the bar at the bottom of the picture. I could be mistaken though.

44954593012_0f7196c73d_c.jpg