For CriagS

More threads by motec 6.9

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Geoff, I haven't been able to open a picture. Do you know if it is a genuine unit - usually, hard cover, blue with gold or off white lettering. Regards Styria

CraigS

Same here. Pics don't show. I have a couple, but the reprints, not the factory book (I think). I have so many of these blue cover books, it's hard to remember what I have and where it is.

Here are a couple of recent purchases. One will go in the roundie and possibly the 300 for the other one - if it fits.

DSC00038_zps3094ae3d.png

DSC00039_zps10fc722e.png

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Craig if you want I can call them tomorrow and find out if its the hard cover book its 25 minutes from me . Geoff

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Craig, I am looking at those tyres with jealousy, but also with a real lot of trepidation - they've got to be the best part of thirty years old and roadholding, I imagine, would be at a premium. They've got to be of the Olympic Air Ride variety - used to fit them to the old Rovers back in the '60s. So, can we give them another twenty years on top of the thirty ?

In those days, say I think '60s or very early '70s, Dunlop used to make a terrific cross-ply high performance tyre - I think they were called Road Speed and they used to fit them to the Police Rambler Matadors - they made them in size to fit Rovers as well. (Anyone remember them - the Matadors)). That was all before Olympic brought out the Olympic GT Radial. They were a great tyre (the Road Speeds) and I would be able to buy them under the State Government scheme. No tax, no profits, just cost. I have forgotten how much, but as an example, I could buy a proper large battery for $9.00 in those days - the public paid $27.00 ! Regards Styria

N.B. The good old days ? I wonder.

CraigS

I don't know if you assuming I bought the tyres, but it was the reserve canisters that I was referencing. However, they are Olympic Air-Ride and have been on the car since I bought it in 2003 and who knows for how long before that. They are still in remarkable condition, with no evidence of cracking or perishing. It is not easy to find suitable period looking 13" tyres these days, but I know I will have to replace them eventually. I did also buy a set of 15" crossply wide whitewall tyres a couple of weeks ago for $400 for the 300. They are brand new and were left over from a restoration after they decided to go with radials. Since the tyres on the 300 were bought in 1989, it is probably time they were replaced !

Geoff - thanks for the offer to call them. I have sent them an email so will see if they reply.