Fiat Abarth 500

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I think it does indeed have a 1.4 litre engine (not 500cc) and it does seem overpriced in this country. Plus, I have probably ridiculed it a bit for its Fiat heritage, but the performance by three of the little 'critters' in the recent Bathurst 12 hourl respect must be extended to them. Cute, beautiful little cars.......Regards Styria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvZ7g2GjvlY&feature=youtu.be

This is the Turbo version. Boy, it should go. BTW, just take in the funky interior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZFjIcb3e2M

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I have also read a comprehensive review of the 500L., an altogether much bigger car - longer, wider, higher. I must say that one cannot fail but be impressed with its various features. I also checked out the price in the States - my God, we are getting done like chicken dinners. Then again, what is new ?

In one of the tests (haven't listed a link a this stage), the reviewer makes an awful lot of play over the additional small frontal side windows. He says he's never seen it - obviously, he hasn't taken any notice of the Honda Jazz with its additional, reasonably sized, frontal side windows. It is in fact a really nice, and stand-out feature on the Honda. The next item of interest - both the Fiat 500lL have the same engine capacity - 1400cc, turbo charged in the Fiat. Horsepower - should you ask ? I think about 80 or so for the Jazz, almost twice that with the Fiat - and the Fiat's speed is on a par with that of the 6.9 - 260 kilometers. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Just in case this may be of interest, but Fiat also produced a Family Carrier early in the 2000s. It was called the Fiat Multipla, but that name should not be confused with the Multipla of the fifties.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-ca...hemel-hempstead-fpa-201402161848679?logcode=p

This is the 'present' car - have a good look at it. Apart from its many very useful features, what was so special ? Any ideas. Well, it may have been in about the 2000s that the English CAR magazine voted it the "BEST CAR" of its year - out of ten cars, including allcomers. Mercedes , Rolls, Vauxhall, the lot. They were smitten by its Engineering, Styling (yes !), Versatility and value for money. As I said, have a good look at it. Regards Styria

6.9forever

Noble
From when I first saw the generation 1 Honda Jazz launched in 2001, I was struck with how, like so often with Japanese styling studios, they had flattered a European marque by imitation.

I refer to none other than the W168 A-Class Mercedes-Benz. How apt, seeing this is primarily an MB enthusiasts' website!

And the A-Class pre-dated the Jazz by 4 years, being launched in 1997.

The W168 featured the large front side windows, as did the Citroen C4 although it didn't debut until 2004 so really the W168 was a trend-setter. Perhaps there was another before it but I cannot think of one.

Imitation is not too strong a word when you look at the following:

edesA-KlasseFrontSideBlueLorinser2View_zpsf78e3db3.png

010_Honda_Jazz_GE_hatchback_2011-10-25_zps5e1db62c.png

aclass_zpsbd2f7215.png

zz_GE_MY12_VTi_hatchback_2011-11-18_02_zps095b37fb.png

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
David, you're absolutely spot on, as there is no doubt that the initial A Class was a definite trend setter styling wise, and obviously many times I would see a Honda Jazz and mutter to myself as to why the Japanese always had to be "copycats". Witness also some of the Lexus models - you would swear that you were looking at a Mercedes Benz.

If the truth be known, Julie always wanted to buy a Yaris or Mazda 2. Honestly I intensely disliked the idea of either of those two. Luckily enough, the first time she had a proper look at the interior of the Yaris, she remarked how basic and unattractive it was. With the Mazda 2' she was ready to sign on the dotted line, and it was only with some 'cranky' Pleading on my part that she relented initially, and we were going to have a look at the Hyundai i30 next, but we called in at the Honda dealers on the way, and got stuck there, if you know what I mean. I liked the idea of Honda Engineering integrity, and quality of manufacture, plus her particular example was built in Japan, a feature that once again appealed to me. Furthermore, the perceived spaciousness and versatility were another important factor, and the car did look attractive, especially from the rear.

Today, she loves the styling of the car, the neat finish, and she feels as though that she is actually driving a small SUV. It is a roomy, light and airy cabin, and there is no further mention of Yaris or Mazda 2. Mercedes, of course, have moved on since then, but the original A Class really is no more and has been replaced by an A Class that is a copy of the i30 and, whatsmore, not as nice looking as the latest model from that Korean manufacturer. Regards. Styria

N.B. Incidentally, you have owned a number of quite new Mercedes models. In light of our discussions on TK, have you experienced any reliability or 'annoyance' issues ? I would be very interested in your observations.

Last edited:

260ebenz

Master
Seeing double those cars look the same!

Only difference is the badge on the front & back of the cars.

260ebenz

Master
Yaris interior is unattractive well as a part-owner of a Yaris I am deeply offended! lol.
;)

What must I do to convince my Mum to sell the Yaris?

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Yaris interior is unattractive well as a part-owner of a Yaris I am deeply offended! lol.
;)

What must I do to convince my Mum to sell the Yaris?

Dear Timmy, show her a Honda, or the latest Yaris, i30, Kia Rio, Proton or, best still, a Benz CLA 45AMG.:D Regards Styria

260ebenz

Master
Looked at the new Yaris YR nice car.

I believe the new Corolla is due out at the end of this month?

Should look at other car makes as well besides Toyota.

Perhaps even a 2004 C320 might be on the horizon for me wait and see?

Cheers.

6.9forever

Noble
Styria wrote:
N.B. Incidentally, you have owned a number of quite new Mercedes models. In light of our discussions on TK, have you experienced any reliability or 'annoyance' issues ? I would be very interested in your observations.

Hi all -
My experience with new Mercedes reads like this:
2001: New W203 C180 - the entry-level C-Class with only options being alloys and rain sensor. The DAY, yes, DAY, I drove it out of McIntosh's showroom and with 15km on the clock, it broke down on the M2. Complete electrical shutdown. I coasted to my office and called for help. A tilt-tray arrived and before I could take the A-Class loaner I had to sign a form saying that if I scratched the loaner then I would pay the $2200 excess. Aaaargh! What had I done? Turns out that the ignition module was not recognising the signal from the key and needed replacing. Two months later ... it happened again on the Harbour Bridge. I was feeling like a mug, rather than smug, in my 'new' Mercedes. Third time lucky it was fixed and I drove the car for 12 months but never liked the gruff 1998cm3 4-pot (non-Kompressor) donk. In reverse on an incline when cold it actually couldn't shift the car!!! When the Twin Pulse 1996cm3 C180 Kompressor came out, I paid $10K to switch over ...

2002: C180 Kompressor - great car, no problems, 100,000 in four years.

2006: Traded the C180K for a near-new upgrade 2004 C320 with bi-xenons, Climatic, rear blind, beautiful smooth car with V6. Only had 11,000km on clock and the first owner took the $30K depreciation hit.
I drove this car for 4 years and 100,000km and loved it. Only problem was an in-dash stepper motor for the ventilation fan that failed twice - a $2.5K repair and the second time MB baulked at paying as it was over 4 years old but I kicked up a stink and they relented.
Car ran best on Continentals as Pirelli compound is softer and wears faster. Experiment with cheaper Nankangs was proportional to life-span, that is, 1/3 the price and 1/3 the life but noisier.

[2007: Acquired beloved Blattenhauser 450SEL6.9, not a candidate for 'new car' by any stretch so I won't dwell on her here but she looks like new after a simple wash and she is a keeper].

2009: Bought a 2004 W168 A190 as second car and it has been all-but perfect, now with 71,000km. Loose UJs in steering column are a common problem causing a knocking noise and the UK site aclassinfo.co.uk has detailed analysis. Was quoted $2.7K by MB for new column which does not fix the problem, but an Allen key and a tub of greese does! The ride is choppy and unbelievable harsh but ameliorated by recently purchased, decent Bridgestone MY02s.

2010: Traded the C320 on a new W204 C250CGI which as of today has 78,000 and has never missed a beat - perfect record.

The future? For now, keep the 3 cars we have as all are going well. I'll have a look at the W205 C-Class when it arrives but will probably be out of my range price-wise ... we'll see.

6.9forever

Noble
Typo: Twin Pulse had 1796cm3

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
David, thank you for that quite enlightened summary. You really can't better information that comes from an actual owner relating his experiences. From what you have written, it would seem fairly obvious that Mercedes have picked up their act and are now starting to manufacture reliable cars, cars that you can trust, have confidence in......your assessment seems to bear out WGB's previous posts, and also BenzBoy - both of whom have shared favourable comments on TK as far as reliability is concerned.

Interesting comments about the A-Class. You know, that terrible ride you're talking about - I wonder if it is the result of the "Elk" experience ? I have only ever driven an 'A' Class on one occasion - it was in Austria, it was powered by a 1.7 litre Diesel (A170) and I felt that it was no better than a Citroen Xsara 1.9 Diesel that I had extensive use of. Neither were turbocharged, and fairly sluggish. The Citroen comfortably outhandled the A170. Thank you again. Regards Styria

Last edited:

6.9forever

Noble
Pleasure Styria -
The elk test rectification included the fitting of early ESP (ASR) and I can't help thinking the harsh ride was a result of paranoid (over)reaction.
I regularly hire base model econocars when I travel and they all have a more refined ride.
On the plus side, the interior room and brilliant seat removal to form a load carrier are second to none. As a piece of 1990s industrial design it was amazing.
The shape is not to everyone's liking but we think it is cute, kind of like an eager puppy.
When you just want to step into a really easy car in an urban setting, that harsh ride aside, it is hard to beat.
And yes, MB reliability has turned the corner for the better in our experience of the newer cars we have owned.
Cheers,