Daimler vs. New Yorker

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
The Daimler stands for Majestic Major, with the Turner 4.5 litre V8, whilst the New Yorker stands for Chrysler. I have always liked the styling of the Daimler with its smooth, yet characteristic lines that remind me of the Sunbeam Rapier (a much smaller car) , whilst the rear lenses treatment is quite similar to that of a 1960s Bentley Continental.

Can't say that much about the New Yorker - I have probably never seen one, but there is just so much to admire styling wise of the '50s and '60s American cars. The dash instruments are just poles apart from one to the other, with the Daimler probably sporting the equivalent of half an acre of interior timber. I'll let you guys read the rest - just one little surprise. 270 bhp. from 4.5 litres back in the sixties ? I have serious reservations. Regards Styria

Attachments

• Daimler vs. New Yorker.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 7

260ebenz

Master
Styria you made mention of the New Yorker.

Family Friend has a 1985 Chrysler New Yorker with Hemispheric engine a very rare and unique car.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I did not know that Daimler produced a 4.5 litre hemi V8.
I did note however that the Majestic Major had a lesser kerb weight than a 6.9; it was nearer to the kerb weight of a 4.5 litre W116.

The 392 Chrysler Hemi V8 powered Don Garlits' nitro dragster. It was the first car to cover the 1/4 mile in less than 7 seconds. It produced 2,500 horsepower. Modern nitro all alloy V8's such as those produced by Keith Black Engineering or BAE Engineering, have 492 cubic inch displacement by NHRA regulation, and are surprisingly close to the original Chrysler engine in design. They produce 8,000 horsepower for about 4 1/2 seconds, and they need 60 pounds of boost to do this; they run on about 90% nitromethane and 10 % alcohol. 50 litres of this brew is consumed in the 4 1/2 seconds.

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I have driven the Daimler V8 and the engine impresses with its low end torque and smooth delivery of power. In a tighter body with some decent suspension the car might have been a bit of a fire-breathing monster - as it is, it's rather like driving an oversized latex pillow. Nice to ride in but probably very tiring on a long mountain road .....
With the purchase by Jaguar, the large V8 was quickly killed off as it was quicker than the inline 6 and put Jaguar's motor to shame in that sense.
Regards,
Brian

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Styria, are you destroying all your magazines? ;)

Hi Afro107, I don't mind if you are posing that question because, essentially, that is what I am doing. Probably about ten years ago, I decided to cut out matters of interest, but more so road tests, from magazines that i had. The aim was to have them bound into book form. Like with so many little projects, this did not happen. Thus, once I knew how to copy the various articles and turn them into PDFs, there was no stopping me.

Currently I have about 360 PDF files, and I would say that probably about one hundred have found their way into TK. So, maybe about two hundred to go ? ;) Of course, up to now, there is only a small number of magazine pages that have been converted. I probably have about three hundred magazines - primarily the English "CAR", but I also commenced collecting "Thoroughbred and Classic Cars" right from the whence it started - October 1973. It is a while since I have checked, but I would have a continuous run of perhaps ten years. To my mind, those early years editions are priceless.

Additionally, I have all "In Aller Welt" magazines from 1958 (Copy No. 20) right up to Number 200, and these will probably be sold to one of the members of TK if a suitable price can be arranged. So Afro 107, I have plenty of material on hand.

Why do I put some of this stuff on TK ? Very simple, being the selfish "so and so of a gun" that I am, I automatically think that whatever I like or find of interest, I think that others would feel likewise. I guess that nothing could be further from the truth. At least, members DO have the opportunity to share. However, I think with our small membership number, and the "polarized" contributors we have, it is absolutely essential that I have spread the scope of TK in an effort to create interest and, quite frankly, to stop the site from going under. Sorry, it's a bit long winded, but I needed to tell the story. Regards Styria

Last edited:

sean sherry

Master
Been thinking about what you said Styria......about interest... my 2 bobs worth.
Engines and Automatics all started life as single cyl./ 1gear items.
De Dion Bouton single cyl. to H. Mormon's V16 in 1927. Though I think there may have been earlier V16s
Buick's single speed Dyno Flow Automatic in the Fifties to ZF's 8 and 9 speeds today
With Engines ,now we are headed back to Turbo fours. The newly designed Four in my New MK7 Golf is so smooth it is hard to tell if it is a four. Smoother than the Turbo four in our 1.8 C Class. The VW is probably a generation ahead.
It even has cylinder cut out , plus Stop /Start which is a pain in the ......but it can be disabled.
Apparently the engine is set up to start again with no. 1 cylinder on TDC , so apply a spark and it starts again not using the starter ? ? ?
Do the Silver Ghosts achieve the same thing with the ign. lever ?..... over to you Brian.

Sean

BenzBoy

Grand Master
"Apparently the engine is set up to start again with no. 1 cylinder on TDC , so apply a spark and it starts again not using the starter ? ? ?
Do the Silver Ghosts achieve the same thing with the ign. lever ?..... over to you Brian."
Original Ghosts and Phantoms can be started on the ignition lever if the engine is on good tune. Modern ones? I don't think so...
Regards,
Brian

sean sherry

Master
Yes ,the first Automatic was the Hydra-Matic, but never let the truth get in the way of a good story. I needed support for the single cylinder Engine comment ! The Dyna Flow fitted the bill. The Hydra Matic was a very robust unit, used by many, including Lincolns, Bentleys , Stag Hound Weapons Carriers etc.,etc.
When rebuilding R. R. and Bentleys I sourced the Hard (Metal ) Parts from the local Military Vehicle Wrecker in Brisbane who wrecked Stag Hounds.
Rolls and Bentley parts prices exceeded the value of the car !
Sean

sean sherry

Master
An excellent article on Automatics....explains everything, in detail.
But everything comes at a price...... Todays smooth shifting Autos achieve this by way of the valves in "Duty Cycle " controlled by Solenoids . Result is that the alloy Valve Body Bores are wearing out. Valve bodies can cost up to the $ thousands. Toyota over come this by running the valves in replaceable sleeves.
All others ,smile as you go under ! There is now a well engineered Kit, available from the States, which bores out the V. Body with a fitment of sleeves for some Makes. e.g., Audi and now locally on exchange for VW.
The Twin Clutch Automatic Manuals ? The jury is still out, that's why My New MK 7 Golf has a 6 speed Manual. Come resale time I fear that the Autos will have the same stigma as a 5 plus year old Hi Bybrid nearing the end of it's Battery life. Big $$$
Sean

sean sherry

Master
We live and we learn ! My information about piston at TDC was incorrect. Research tells me that the Stop/ Start systems depend on a special Battery which is twice the cost of a Standard Battery. And that the starter is pre engaged ??? Apparently this is not detrimental to the engine but don't expect too many days after 3 years out of the expensive Battery with frequent town use. There is nothing for nothing as they say.
Sean