D-Jet, K-Jet, etc...

More threads by Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
When did the various W116 models change injection?

I know very early models such as the 280S had carburettors (one I recall)
But the V8s were all injected.

When did D-Jet start and did we get KE-Jet in the W116?

What about the 6.9? what did it have?

WGB

All 116's with the exception of the 280S started life with D- jet.

In about May to August 1975 ( presumably the release of the 1976 model year) it all happened.

The 6.9 was released with K-jet and hydraulic cam followers from the beginning and at the same time the rest of the range had a makeover with the obvious changes being switch to K-jet and hydraulic cam followers.

I believe the reason was for reliability and ease of maintenance and I believe the original K-jet system was known as KE-jet but I believe the term KE-jet is better used on later 126's which when fitted with catalysts had a degree of electronic control of the idle and mixture - possible that elements of this system were in late US 116's but not in Euro's or Aus cars AFAIK.

There was an unfortunate drop in power in both the six cylinder and the V8 with the introduction of K-jet with power losses in the 280SE/L and 450SE/L
But tuning changes restored the power in mid 1978 - presumably for the 1979 model year.

Bill

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
And Michel, you have KE in your Spur....BUT the computer control modules were altered by R-R and Bosch will NOT attempt to touch them now so when yours fails, the RREC has reverse-engineered the module and has a man who will repair it for a very reasonable rate (around $AUD300).
Regards,
Brian
PS: only slightly off topic...:D

Tony66_au

I believe that the D and K jet engines were also physically quite different?

I had the k jet 450SE and the D jet SEL side by side with the bonnets up the other day and they look quite different as well.

Styria

The Godfather
As far as I am aware, K-Jet was introduced for the 1976 model year, and that included the 6.9s. In fact, 6.9s were only ever fitted with K-Jet, and it is my understanding (meaning of what I have read) that the system was introduced to meet exhaust emission regulations.

Tony, D-Jet and K-Jet engine blocks and heads would have been the same, or at worst, very, very similar. The physical change between the two is limited to the Inlet Manifold and the associated plumbing required to accomodate each system. I believe it to be fact that engines fitted with D-Jet were quite a bit more powerful, especially in 450 (M117) form. I am not sure, nor am I aware, what tuning variations were involved with later model cars being fitted with the K-Jet system.

In the US, of course, Ch. 108 3.5 were fitted with 450 engines to compensate for the power loss when the fuel injection systems were updated to K-Jet. I know very little, if not nothing, about D-Jet except that parts are quite a bit more expensive, such as injectors, trigger points for the distributor, but Oscar our long lost friend, is very familiar with D-Jetand he swears by it. Regards Styria

Tony66_au

I will happily testify to the D jet engines having far more "go" to them Styria although the K jet 450 is no slouch the pickup and response on the D jet 450 is noticeably better which may also have something to do with the glorious lack of pollution controls on the D jet cars.

Im currently having a chat to a mate who has numerous Bosch injection workshop manuals trying to pry the D jet stuff from his grasp along with the benz supplements lol.

if its not too bulky I will scan them and turn it into a PDF.

Cheers,

Tony

WGB

I have a copy of the CIS diagnostic manual as copied from the M-100 site and available to M-100 members.

A smudgey collection of PDF's which seem to be very large files for some reason.

Bill

Tony66_au

I have a copy of the CIS diagnostic manual as copied from the M-100 site and available to M-100 members.

A smudgey collection of PDF's which seem to be very large files for some reason.

Bill

Huge PDF files were the norm years ago as the software used was a bit rude and often people chose ridiculous resolutions well above 300DPI which did 3 things, Made a huge file size, made enormous viewable PDF's and also made very very high res PDF's capable of being blown up to wall sized posters handy for class rooms and workshops.

Id go with older PDF and they can be easily shrunk down to a more manageable size without losing any integrity.

Cheers,
Tony

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Thank you to all those who replied.

I have a clearer picture now.:eek:

BenzBoy, thank you fore reminding me of the Queen of Sheba.
I'll have those pictures for you today!