Concours Secrets & How To Polish Your Car

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I happen to attend the MBCV Concours Judging and Vehicle Prep day last Saturday (17/03/2018) and I'm glad I made the effort. Not only did I get to catch up with a mate that I haven't seen in ages, but I also got to see some great cars, get an insight into the judging and how the elite detail their cars. Some aspects have always been a mystery to me, but to be fair to myself paint tech has changed significantly over the years and maintenance has followed suit. Although I don't have a car worthy of Concours, it was great to learn a few tricks and tips. Some included using shoe polish to keep tyres looking their best and making sure your clock is working and showing the right time!

As they say, pictures tell a thousand words....

IMG_8212_1.jpg

IMG_8211_1.jpg

IMG_8223_1.jpg

IMG_8224_1.jpg

IMG_8228_1.jpg

IMG_8215_1.jpg

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Looks like I'll have to spend some time and money on car care products in the very near future!!

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Or watch others do it

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
LOL! Nah I think I need to pull my finger out and get cracking.... BTW you should use the products depicted in order from left to right. The weird blob on the bottle to the far left is a clay bar. Note the electric polisher has an offset cam fitted, so it doesn't just go around in circles and create monumental swirl marks. Another trick is to NOT PRESS DOWN during operation and just let the weight of the machine and gravity do the work for you. Edges and vertical surfaces present more of a challenge..

Last edited:
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Autoglym products were also highly regarded.

PS no I'm not on commission although donations are welcome! ;):D

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yeah nah to commission

BHW

Connoisseur
Ah... California based Meguiar's. I've never tried their products.
We grew up on Turtle Wax products ; ) Both sold world wide. And no, I'm not a paid spokesperson or endorsee : D Just remembered Armor All. Great products as well especially for tires.

Last edited:

260ebenz

Master
I like the 420 in the photos the car looks to be the same colour as my 300?

Have any of our TK Members ever used the Bowden’s car products are they any good?

Bowden’s is made here in Australia I believe?

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I like the 420 in the photos the car looks to be the same colour as my 300?

Have any of our TK Members ever used the Bowden’s car products are they any good?

Bowden’s is made here in Australia I believe?
Tim -you already use Autoglym which is amongst the best and a huge leap forward from Meguiars so be satisfied with what you have and stay with it. Why change?
The professional range of Meguiars is good for specific tasks but their general line is pretty ordinary ...
Regards,
Brian
Ps; and the real trick after making sure your clock is on the right time for a Concours is to ensure it ticks if it is a pre 1960s car. If it doesn't it's been replaced with an electric until and there goes 1/4 of a point...:eek:

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I ended up buying some Autoglym products but I’ve yet to use them in anger! Hopefully I get some good results but it’s always frustrating to wash the car at the end of the day to avoid the heat only to find there’s no time left to attempt polishing!:(