BenzBoy

Grand Master

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I read that Honda will only market their products in three colours:
Black
White
Silver.

Black is by the hardest colour to maintain, it is 4 degrees hotter in summer, which means the aircon is used more often, with a loss in performance and higher fuel costs.

White is a commercial colour, but is the right colour for commercial vehicles only.

Silver is just way too common and boring. I know. My drive car is silver, I bought it second hand for other reasons than for it's colour.

What a horrible roadscape it would be if all cars were black, white or silver.
Have a look around, it is almost that now!

Most upholsteries in new cars are now dark grey or black. Utterly boring for complete lack of variation.

Remember the era of the HQ and before, when a buyer could get choose from a wide choice in exterior and interior colours?

At least my 116 is blue, with a parchment interior. Fairly common in it's day, but not made that way now. I have grown very much to like it. The only improvement I can think of is to have it in two tone, with the lower part in Magnetite Blue.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I agree - the usual colour schemes show as much imagination as a bucket of sludge. However, better car companies offer the full spectrum of colours. In the carpark at work there is a Designo S Class (2011) in deep chocolate brown with cream interior and chocolate brown piping. It's just spectacular.
In the 60s and 70s my family bought a new Holden at the end of each financial year. It was aways white but each year the interior was a different colour - never Bondi Outfall grey though....
Ever put a black wallet and a black phone down in a car with a black interior and wondered where it all went? :eek:
I guess we live in a grey world but hold fast; the revolution will come!
Regards,
Brian

WiSeGuYY

HEY BRIAN and all , here some old colors for MERCEDES BENZ i found in surfing the net , hope it helps.

HTML:
  http://www.astralsilber.de/farbcodes/farbcodes.htm#Serienlackierungen

REGARDS

TAREK

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Colours also give an illusion.
Black makes cars look smaller... White does the opposite.
Not too many small cars are painted black.

The darker the colour, the hotter it is in the sun (especially summer) and if the interior is also dark, then you have a double whammy!

I also believe that it's 'horses for courses'
Reds, yellows and bright colours always suit sports cars.
Not sure about the commercial aspect of white; there are variations that are simply gorgeous to look at - pearls and creamy colours.

Colours are also a safety aspect one must consider, especially in the country.
A bright colour is better seen on a country road than a green, grey or brown one!

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Many years ago, I bought a small safety colour car - the same yellow as used on earth moving plant. Actually, it looked quite OK. Even the red tail light clusters and the matching yellow number plated helped.

I was with Michel at night after a MB of NSW Club meeting. We saw a (then) new Honda in a strong metallic yellow. That looked very nice after rain under strong street lighting.

Oversize

Grand Master
Daytime Running Lights (DRL) should negate some issues with vehicle colour vs visibility. I'd suggest they'll become mandatory on all new cars in the near future.... And it's probably because so many cars out there are a very bland, dull colour!

Many years ago I nearly had a head-on with another vehicle along a country road in Central Victoria. It was late afternoon when the light was fading and combined with the fact there were large trees on both sides of the road (with corresponding shadows) and I was driving a green Mitsubishi Sigma, I don't think the other driver knew I was there when he decided to overtake a car going the other way. Even though I flashed my lights, he was already comitted and I had to head for the gravel shoulder and grass to avoid a collision. He was in my lane (going the other way) when he passed me doing 100kmh. My wife (at the time) and I bought a Tatts ticket shortly thereafter and I haven't had a green car since....

Last edited: