Champagne 560SEL

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Confessions of an addict.... I swear this is the last one!! I'd been looking for what seemed like ages for another 560 at the right price. Many were too good, too pricey, or lived interstate and the transport costs ruled that out.

So I found this one and immediately went for a look. I placed a deposit the same day and picked it up a week later (yesterday). A 1989 RHD private import with no books.... A badly faded burgundy interior including rear footrests. Without climate control or airbag. Electric seats front and rear with memory. RF window regulator shot. Panel damage as the pics show. Minimal rust in the rear quarters and a butchered rear wheel. SLS (rear only) disconnected. Cranks but does not fire.

What did I want another one for? Initially parts. The electric front and rear seats and the brakes. I figured the cost for panel work, a repaint and the effort to swap of the SLS and interior from my crashed white 560 ruled out any prospect of bringing her back to life. All that money and work to just sell it restored didn't make sense and I didn't want one as a daily or (another) Sunday driver. Or so I thought....

CIMG7836_zps919fc0e6.jpg

CIMG7837_zpsf87798b0.jpg

CIMG7840_zps7476c04e.jpg

CIMG7839_zpscca496fc.jpg

Up on the truck I spotted something unusual under the car and it started to answer a question I'd asked myself after I lay down the deposit, but didn't have the time to check. Yes it has a Cat and EGR. But also a set of factory Tri Ys!!! So what did I buy and what's it's country of origin??

M11796822022079

Is it financially worth fixing, or should I just stick to the plan with better parts that expected? The jet boat motor looks pretty good!! ;):cool::eek::rolleyes::D

More details and the VIN to follow....

Last edited:
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Is it this one?

5.5 16V* V8 279 PS (205 kW; 275 hp) 430 N·m (317 lb·ft) 7.2s 240 km/h (149 mph) From MY 1987

Or this one?

5.5 16V ECE V8 299 PS (220 kW; 295 hp) 455 N·m (336 lb·ft) 6.9s 250 km/h (155 mph) MY 1986/87

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mark first off all OOOPS I did it again. :eek: Now seeing as the car has no climate control it will be Asian delivery as they are more interested in the badge than what's inside. Tri Y's are a big score I was not aware of them being made in RHD . But if Hong Kong import as I suspect it should be high comp motor. The reason I suspect HK is there were a few dealers in the 90's bringing MB in from HK before they changed import laws. I knew of 2 in Canberra when I lived there.1 was right next to Ray Gulson prestige cars upset him no end having grey market dealer next door to his Porsche dealership. :) The reason I say HK is a friend in Canberra bought a HK 500SE from this dealer it went like the BJ's and had normal air heating and no cruise or sunroof. :D

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
My guess if HK is this 5.5 16V ECE V8 299 PS (220 kW; 295 hp) 455 N·m (336 lb·ft) 6.9s 250 km/h (155 mph) MY 1986/87 there is no way Tri Y's would be on lower power unit.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Good thing I know a mate with a truck.... I think I'll really need him soon! :p;):D

Last edited:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
As for cats on car they would have been fitted in Australia for rego if HK import as they didn't have them over there at that time. Stacks were exported before 97 handover to China. :D

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I'll be taking lots of pics as I get this one running again! And then I'll decide if it's parts or something more....

WTF can't I update my signature?? I've tried at least 4 times! Aaahhh! :mad::eek::(:confused:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Maybe you have forgotten how. :D

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
And now back to our regular scheduled posting Mark has bought another car. :D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Congratulations...
As long as you still have room, don't let anyone dissuade you from buying them!

Good looking... I also had a HK import 560SEL.

260ebenz

Master
Good to see another W126 here on the Forum and the 560SEL has chrome wheel arches!

How many miles on the clock has the 560SEL travelled Oversize?

All the best with the car.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Congratulations...
As long as you still have room, don't let anyone dissuade you from buying them!

Good looking... I also had a HK import 560SEL.

Saved from the wreckers I think, but her fate is still unknown. I must say I've loved burgundy interiors since I was a kid; probably more than black. Dad owned a white ZB Fairlane 500 with burgundy vinyl which looked pretty classy to me.

At the right price these cars are very hard to resist! Now all I have to do is process the ones I have!! :eek::rolleyes:

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Looks like one of the wheel nuts snapped and the PO actually cut the wheel to get it off!! Good thing the spare is good apart from the poor paint finish...

Access to the this car and another 4 of mine is a PITA since they're stored at a mate's transport yard. I've spent a fortune on good tarps!! :eek:

Another reason I bought the car is the odo said around 135K km! It's definitely a 560SEL cluster, but I have no idea if it's the original one and without books the kms can't be substantiated.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mark if it is HK as I suspect it could be genuine. But depending on how many are HK km will determine engine condition. Just like Japanese Imports 50000k there is like 200000k here as they spend a lot of time idling . :)

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I'll be taking lots of pics as I get this one running again! And then I'll decide if it's parts or something more....

WTF can't I update my signature?? I've tried at least 4 times! Aaahhh! :mad::eek::(:confused:

Looks like I can't buy any more cars since I had to edit my signature to keep it below 500 (?) characters!! :eek::D

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Hi Mark if it is HK as I suspect it could be genuine. But depending on how many are HK km will determine engine condition. Just like Japanese Imports 50000k there is like 200000k here as they spend a lot of time idling . :)

As long as they didn't glaze the bores when it was new I'm sure it'll be good!! :)

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
It would have been in Australia since at least 97 so I don't think it will be a problem. :)

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
As for cats on car they would have been fitted in Australia for rego if HK import as they didn't have them over there at that time. Stacks were exported before 97 handover to China. :D

Interesting point but I'm not sure how they'd retrofit the O2 sensor....

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Not sure but at the time they were bringing cars in from HK they were not Unleaded. :D As I said friend bought 500SE HK car and damn it went hard kept up with my worked 351 ESP. :D:eek:

Styria

The Godfather
My guess if HK is this 5.5 16V ECE V8 299 PS (220 kW; 295 hp) 455 N·m (336 lb·ft) 6.9s 250 km/h (155 mph) MY 1986/87 there is no way Tri Y's would be on lower power unit.

......sorry, what are TriYs......For Pete's sake, someone tell me. Regards. Styria