BMW will charge owners a subscription fee to use features like heated seats

More threads by c107

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
They've been doing this already for Apple CarPlay and soon they'll have pretty much everything on subscription.

The sad part is that if they're successful and there's an uptake by customers, then the other car companies (including M-B) will follow!

Pete49

Distinguished
More BS from the manufacturers to stop any but authorised dealer to do repairs on their cars. Soon you will need a permit from them to actually purchase them to prove you are a person they want driving their vehicles.

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
They've been doing this already for Apple CarPlay and soon they'll have pretty much everything on subscription.

The sad part is that if they're successful and there's an uptake by customers, then the other car companies (including M-B) will follow!

I don't think it will help them sell more cars.
Once people start waking up to the idea of subscription, they will then make the logical conclusion of paying for a 'car by the hour' concept.

They will sell a lot less cars if the general public embraces that model. Certainly it has already taken off for those who only need occasional use of one, such as people who living in inner city areas. My sister, who used to live in Paddington, had Go-Get as her 'car' until she had her 2nd child which then made dragging 2 child seats and paraphernalia to the share car spot unmanageable.

sean sherry

Master
It is a fact of life today that everybody is into your pockets......
Yesterday my Home insurance increased by $510 just via:eek: a notification by Text. No paper contact... well I have learned to challenge every Bill... Cancel the Policy produced a $400 drop. The Insurance Companies rely on a lot of people just reaching for their Cheque Books and paying up ...

sean sherry

Master
Fewer Car Sales ... yes the writing is on the Wall...
I recall reading years ago that the the Western World is saturated with cars.... white goods on Wheels. So manufacturers have little growth.... so they sell more "Car"" The Options list is unending. :)

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Fewer Car Sales ... yes the writing is on the Wall...
I recall reading years ago that the the Western World is saturated with cars.... white goods on Wheels. So manufacturers have little growth.... so they sell more "Car"" The Options list is unending. :)

The car industry was already suffering from excess capacity before COVID. Some of the incentives that were required to shift volume were particularly aggressive. This didn't hurt the higher end models, but even Mercedes as they move down market with the A class and derivatives had to offer strong incentives in the USA.

Styria

The Godfather
I think I have said this before - Australia the land of corporate greed - and Government exploitation. Some examples:

Tim Tam, the tasty chocolate biscuits - same price I think, but quantity reduced by one to eleva. BTW, I didn't count them as I just gobble them up. Someone rang 2 GB when the subject of cost of living was discussed.

The cost of using Toll Roads in Sydney area. New Toll on the M5, huge toll on the new M8, it's never ending. Now they will be forcing Trucks off Pennant Hills Road and force them to use the new Toll Road. Then look at the Western Distributor never ending increases. Then look at the amount of money the Toll Companies rake in - it's obscene.

Has anyone observed the height of the Sound Barriers along sections of the M2 ? They have to be at least 3 to 4 meters high, and in some sections they are double. All this happened and changes were made when they widened that road. Just pure waste of money, but hey, who cares because the public will pay. Isn't that right ?

Just yesterday, I was involved in an Insurance quote on a 2016 Golf TFS or is it TSF bluemotion valued at $15K. Or I should say bought for that amount. The new owner is a young (20) female 'L' Plater. Okay, on paper, not a good risk but Alliance quoted $2079.00 with an at fault excess of $850.00. I obtained an alternative from NRMA Insurance Ltd. for $1300.00. But guess what ? Mummy got the quote, she is insured with them but I can't really go against her wishes. No wonder I am writhing on the floor in agony. Why, why, why did I bother ? I guess Mummy just doesn't like getting done. Go figure. Anyway, I got off the subject.

Then take the Power Zhouse Museum at Ultimo. The. Govt. has done a partial backflip on account of the outcry to the move which was going to cost a billion dollars, yet half the exhibits would be put in storage. The motif ? Selling the Ultimo Real Estate. Anyway, I am tired of rambling on - surely others might be able to add to my thoughts. Regards. Styria

sean sherry

Master
Hi Styria... we cynics should stick together.... I'm with you.
Except that Australia has always been a Net importer of Capital. There is no real money here. Like our Houses, ;)the whole Country has been built on Mortgages.