barn find, as they say

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
An original 22,000 mile 1950 Riley has surfaced after 40 years under cover.
Was his wife's pride and joy. Carefully covered under a soft fabric lined water proof cover. Mechanically very sound , the engine started with some fresh petrol..............But the body....It was non existent ! ... A totally rusted out hulk.
Moral to the story is, cars do not survive in the open no matter how they are covered.
I know of a MK 5 Jaguar slowly suffering the same fate. Will the owner listen ? Maybe when I take him along to see the Riley he might.
Lead a horse to water .....:(

Sean

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
An original 22,000 mile 1950 Riley has surfaced after 40 years under cover.
Was his wife's pride and joy. Carefully covered under a soft fabric lined water proof cover. Mechanically very sound , the engine started with some fresh petrol..............But the body....It was non existent ! ... A totally rusted out hulk.
Moral to the story is, cars do not survive in the open no matter how they are covered.
I know of a MK 5 Jaguar slowly suffering the same fate. Will the owner listen ? Maybe when I take him along to see the Riley he might.
Lead a horse to water .....:(

Sean

Sad story, but lots of people would not even cover some rare cars and leave them in the open, while insisting they are worth a fortune. :eek:

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
That's why cars should be stored under a light cloth dust cover in weatherproof garage. Don't let a car sweat under a waterproof tarp. That's second car that I know of, where the body has been completely ruined.

Ialso know of a 15,000 mile car, that has just come out of hibernation for more than 40 years. Body has no rust at all, upholstery perfect, as are the door seals.
Put in fresh petrol, and away it went!
Been on historic plates for a couple of weeks, so far.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Every cloud has a Silver Lining....... As they are not making any new old Classic Cars, each one lost through neglect ( the kindest word I can find ) increases the value of the ones cared for.............. Sean

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I would love to get a "barn find" and keep in original condition. That is my idea of heaven...it would be loved and cared for like a new baby.
If you see me lurking in a barn near you then do not be alarmed! ;)
Regards,
Brian