Aus 6.9 - aud135,000

More threads by 6.9forever

Oversize

Grand Master
I’ve seen the car at Hanging Rock and it’s very, very nice. Not perfect, but perfection is almost impossible to achieve, particularly on a 6.9.

I heard Lindsay Fox once offered Peter an open cheque for this car which was politely refused...

Styria

The Godfather
Interesting - it has increased by close enough to about $100K. in four years. It's difficult to assess a car from slightly below average quality photos, but I see the normal problems with the front door card with the foam that has partially disappeared, and there is also the "oldish" appearance of the timber switch panel and console. The mileage also worries me as far as "value for money" is concerned and I do think that "oversold" in the description used by the vendor.

I agree with 'Oversize' - there are a couple of 'rough' edges one would not expect at this asking price. I also wonder what the underside of the car is like. Regards Styria

braminator123

Aficionado
I was told by a reliable source that it would take about $80k to undertake the same work that was done to this car so perhaps $135k is not so unreasonable?

Though many of you have much more wisdom on the subject than I!

Oversize

Grand Master
See this is part of the problem! If someone gave me $80k to spend on a 6.9 it would be a museum piece! And I’d have change to buy a decent daily.... Some people pay far too much for parts & services! It’s all about screening ‘your’ people to ensure you get good to great service for a reasonable price. Pay nothing; get nothing. Act like you work for Government or live a lavish lifestyle and you’ll pay and arm, leg and other important body parts. The general Benz crowd seem to be one extreme or the other. However it’s your choice and I choose to follow the path less travelled and aim for something in between...

Last edited:

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Old adage in car restoration:
"For every dollar you put into the restoration of a car, you get 50 cents back in increased value"

In has to be an investment in love for the restoration of the car.

It is only rarely that one my make a profit out of this sort of venture.

When you buy such a car, you look very carefully in the quality of the restoration work.

Oversize

Grand Master
Nice colour combo for $104k AUD. Yes pity about the radio, but unless it’s an early car (which might’ve got the pinstripe radios), the std ones were not very appealing.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi braminator123, it is about time that I thanked you for your personal message of some little while ago. Please forgive me for being so tardy in responding. I now really appreciate your active interest that you are taking in TK - we need an influx of good posts and discussions, albeit in my case, I have been more than slack in contributing.

Regarding your comment regarding cost - I am unable to relate the quoted figure to a real life situation. $80,000 ? Can't see how. Shall we say paint - all up, back to bare metal and R & R of components - say $20K. Interior comprising upholstery, carpets etc. - say $15K. Suspension - say $6K. Where is the rest ? That car, to have attracted a suggested figure of $80K. had to be a basket case and, from what I read of its description, it's been well serviced, pampered and much loved. So, it can't get anywhere near that suggested figure. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I have just discovered the UK listing of another 6.9 at a price 55K. sterling. Judging by the photos, this has to be one of the best 6.9s I have seen in print. Interesting how much has been spent on the car to bring it up to this standard. Regards Styria

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...-9-auto-1978/7817700?utm_source=newsnow.co.uk
Again, I am re-visiting this particular thread, or post to be more precise. There is a wealth of information that one finds on this particular website including, of course, a number of features on the various "S" Class variants. I have perused the site at length and there is certainly a lot of interesting reading. Regards Styria