Astral Silver 6.9

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I am not certain if we have come across this particular car previously but, thanks to Timmy in Newcastle, he sent me a link to this advertisement on Car Sales.

The asking price is substantial, but maybe that's a good thing for someone like Michel or myself, or Peter or Craig, that may wish to sell their 6.9s. There is also, of course, our friend David in Queensland. I have had a good look at the "Sales Pitch" emphasising Australian delivery etc. That's a fair bit of "buncum" as, in my view, the European model with the high compression engine is a more rewarding car to drive - the extra oomph you can pick, but also the more prominent 'snarl' from the engine as distinct to the 'breathlessness' of the low compression engine destined for this country.

You only have to read comments on the M100 site to realize that just about everyone wants the Euro Engine in their car. More power, better fuel economy..... This particular car ? It is pleasing to see that the front door cards are still nice and tight, but take a look at the front seats with their collapsed pleats and the deterioration in colour quality of the upholstery, the quite badly faded centre console and the 'left foot wear' on the centre tunnel carpet. I know I am nit picking, but for that sort of money, a car has to be right and beyond unfavourable shortcomings. I guess one could describe it as 'the right patina'. Regards Styria

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Mercedes-Benz-450SEL-1979/OAG-AD-14751021/?Cr=0

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Everytime I read 'Australian Delivered' I cringe!
As if Mercedes Benz built different quality cars for different markets.

Every purchase should be done on its merits.
Every car is different and one must not fall for the sales pitch that is Australian Delivered or Fully Imported.

As Ant would say:"rant over" :p

260ebenz

Master

Every car is different and one must not fall for the sales pitch that is Australian Delivered or Fully Imported.

Good point about the 'Australian delivered', Michel.

$70K for the 450 6.9 does seem top dollar for the car it would have to be immaculate?!

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well, it isn't. One should compare the interior of this car with the 6.9 owned by Helmet. Of course, Helmet's car has been refurbished, and whilst many purists would contend that 'original' is preferable to new, I know which of the two is more eye appealing. Regards. Styria

Oversize

Grand Master

Yes it makes little sense. The Aussie cars got compliant seatbelts and side intrusion bars in the doors. However they also got emission controls, low compression engines and lower equipment levels. It appears some OS options weren't even available in the Aussie market. Service books go 'missing' in both Aussie and Euro cars due to POs wishing to remain anonymous.

Salted roads are certainly an issue, but if the car is thoroughly checked prior to purchase it should never be a problem unless you leave the car out in the weather.

PS: NEVER leave an old Benz out in the weather (or regularly drive in the rain)!!!!