Aston Martin DP114/2

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
This is the very first time that I have ever come across this particular Aston Martin. I have not read the details of its participation in this rallye, but pictures elsewhere (will provide links in due course) illustrate the beauty and rarity of this car. It was eventually bought back by Sir David Brown for the use by his wife. Regards Styria

http://astonuts.free.fr/DB/DP114/DP114-AMSpring89p24.jpg

6.9forever

Noble
British cars designed and built beautifully by British people. A time when same was true of Rolls-Royce, Jaguar and many others. Interestingly, Aston will now receive AMG engines, according to Top Gear magazine.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi David, Michel has mentioned that. I am surprised that Aston Martin need to utilize AMG's undoubted expertise in engine building. I understand, of course, that Astons are now racing in the Sports Car caregory, and one would think that by now they should have a well proven mechanical format to work with. Perhaps an arrangement with AMG may be of benefit from a financial point of view. BTW, David, Jaguars - have never been a real friend of them. I used to own a (beautiful !) 3.8S, but experienced a lot of problems with what was really a low mileage car at the time. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Aston Martin has been using Ford engines which it would seem are no longer available to them. Since the same Middle East investment company holds a small parcel of shares in both Daimler and Aston Martin, there may also be some degree of financial integration as well as engineering. Just a possibility.
Regards,
Brian

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
We can probably make a bit more of a story on all this. If you click onto the link contained within, it will detail pictures and some short notes on various cars owned by the Sir David Brown family. No details of any 1962(1964) Lagonda Rapides - Sir David had one with a five speed manual gdearbox - but the last picture shows two 4 door Lagonda Rapides Series 1 (?) - a Lagonda that at one stage we couldn't find until I managed to dig up a road test by way of PDF and which is now in our TK filing system. believe they only ever produced seven (7) in total and I just think that they are absolutely beautifully styled.

http://astonuts.free.fr/PAGES/SirDBandFamily-E.html

Regards Styria

N.B. BTW, I just wish that I could find a full version of the original link submitted. It sounds like a great story. I'll keep looking.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Some more fascinating photos and text. I really think that it is only the British that can provide us with all of that heritage stuff. Perhaps, sooner or later, I might be able to find some reading matter on German Cars heritage ! Regards Styria

http://astonuts.free.fr/WASHBOARD/HTML/4E.html