Aircon re-gas

More threads by WGB

WGB

For the first time in several years I have had a week off for me and me alone and had a staycation.
First on the agenda was my 6.9 whose aircon had gone flat about three years ago.
The aircon was rebuilt with a new compressor and lines and conversion by Lyons Airconditioning in Kewdale with change over to H134a in 2009 and after some years of little use had deflated about three years ago and as I don't drive it in the rain and it is too hot most of the time in WA for other than short distance travel when the sun comes out it had sat as a garage queen for some time with rare short distance runs.
Anyway it was back to Lyons airconditioning this week who pronounced all to be well and pressure tight to 250 psi of nitrogen but with a bung Tx valve.

So $800 later the car is driving beautifully and now cooly except for one unhappy rear sphere so I would ask Styria about the availability and cost of spheres.

Meantime I will use it as my daily driver for the week to make sure everything is lubricated.

Regards to all.
Bill

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Good to see you back on the forum Bill. Hope you enjoy the week off.
I had to do something similar with my 450SLC earlier this year - a couple of years after a new compressor the system had gone flat. I think 134a escapes a little easier than the old R12 does.

Also interested in the cost of spheres as I am thinking of putting the self leveling back on my 560SEL as the harsh pedders springs are unpleasant.

aussie 6.9

Noble
Hi WGB.
I have replaced all the accumulators on my 6.9 since Aug last year. Got the rear ones from Silver Star in Sydney for $295 Aus each and the three front ones from Pelican parts in US for $140 US each. There were no issues with getting the ones from the US through the normal postal system.
I have learnt a lot from your detailed posts on rebuilding the 6.9 tube shocks and have rebuilt two rear ones from my parts car for future use on my driving car. If you have a bit of spare time one day I would enjoy discussing your experiences on maintaining your 6.9. I am also having trouble with aircon. After replacing a ruptured high pressure hose and the expansion valve the aircon mechanic could not regas the system as the new valve seems to be blocked. Looks like the Tx valve has to come out again which is not a pleasant job.
Regard Mark. Ph 0268889640.

OP
WGB

WGB

Thanks for that reply about the accumulators.
I have since ordered two new rears from Pelican Parts but they only have original M-B parts left.
I will budget for the three fronts as my preference is to get the originals if I can but at the moment there seems to be no issue with these three - only one flat rear.
Bill