6.9 roadtest in July 2009 Mercedes Enthusiast

More threads by WGB

WGB

My July copy of M-B Enthusiast arrived in the post today and I haven't read it yet (as I'm off to work) but it seems to have a reasonable 4 page road test on a very pristine 6.9 in it.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
You have baited us all. Let us know what you have read. It would be interesting how much performance has been lost with age.

Hi Cam, let me be somewhat cynical . Obviously, I haven't seen the magazine in question as WGB has his copies air mailed - at least, that's what I think. But let me have a guess in advance about the test. It should read along these lines......

....Fuel crisis, replacement for Erich Waxenberger's brainchild...going against the trend in building this car....it was regarded as the greatest sedan in the world...today, cost of suspension repairs and parts...rust...etc. etc.

As I said, allow me to be cynical about the magazine - great photos, lovely stories, rich in euphoria, poor in actual facts.

BTW - how is that 6.9 of yours going ? Do you like it ? Is it any good ? Can you see yourself keeping it ?...again, etc. etc. Regards Styria

OP
WGB

WGB

It is actually a little better than the usual M-B Enthusiast write up and is a road test of a Cypress green UK car that has been kept in a de-humidified tent and only has 28,000 miles on it.

I think the actual car was discussed around the traps about a month or so ago.

Bill

B13

Good to see the women writing articles on and test-driving these classic cars rather than the usual blokes.

I.

John S

Years ago two UK magazines (The Motor and Autocar) published on a semiregular basis, road tests of used cars up to 5 years old having fairly high mileages. The would compare the original acceleration figures against the used results and, surprisingly, the used cars showed better performance over most of the range. An old 6.9 may not perform too badly.