6.9 Buggy

More threads by Oversize

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Better than ending at the tip

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Wrong engine for a buggy. Cast iron, and too heavy.
Needs to be an alloy 2 litre twin cam turbo four cylinder for THAT application.

Last edited:
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I'd have thought they'd be like a monster truck where torque is king....

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I wouldn't use a 6.9 engine in a monster truck.
Such an engine would have a very hard life, and so a good engine for that application would be a supercharged 454, that could be rebuilt often and relatively cheaply.

Styria

The Godfather
The "WOW" video is interesting. I take it that the buggy is fitted with the 6.9 engine, and whilst I don't know the reason for the engine "expiring", I am not really surprised. Having a good look at the pictures of the finished engine with its various modifications, I couldn't help but be impressed with the extent of modifications carried out.

Where I started to get a bit shaky, was when I listened to the running of the engine. I realize that the motor was running in a confined space, but there was just something that didn't sound right when it was running.It sounded like a hydraulic lifter problem, but it also "hammered" as if there was a camshaft or follower problem. Have another listen. It just does not sound 'nice'. Only my opinion - any others in agreement ? Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Yes I agree! Someone else suggested it was an exhaust leak but I'm not so sure... And the extractor config isn't correct on the LHS so that won't help power. Considering the builder's amazing skills with the rest of the car the exhaust lets it down.

I have someone who's been able to translate the whole thread, so I might be able to find some answers soon!!

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
The motor came from wrecked car so maybe it was on way out when he fitted it.