50th Anniversary challenge

More threads by gurrier

gurrier

Connoisseur
As you will see I did manage to remove the centre console since my last time on the site and more besides.

Ireland is noted for its green countryside. One of the main reasons for the lushness of our island countryside is the abundance of rain.
As we all know moisture and steel are not a good mix. One of the main reasons that comparatively speaking very few older vehicles,
classic or vintage survive here. Many vehicles in the scene here are imports from our near neighbours the UK.
Mine is an Irish registered one with thankfully its original owner from 1973 still with us. Of possibly about 35 W116s left in the country
only 5 are original Irish supplied vehicles. My 350SE was first registered in Ireland on the 30th of May 1973 - chassis no. 008241

Unfortunately, the W116 week spot for rust progression-the front air plenum leak and on the way down moving into the bulkhead/firewall surrounding the fuse box
leads to this:-

footwell.jpg

Moisture is trapped in the material behind the sound deadening and this leads to a trail of rust moving downwards.

Also, the area surrounding the bonnet release cable exit through the bulkhead leaking leads to similar carnage.

Passenger Footwell.JPG

This is where I baulked the last time. Perhaps reason should have prevailed and the project scrapped.

I do have the skeleton of another 280 SE which is marginally better and which I will scavenge metal out of.

Daunting but doable?

Regards,

Bill

OP
G

gurrier

Connoisseur
I agree Michael. Possibly sense should prevail but I have chosen to go ahead.

Further enquiries suggest that there are in fact only two 'native' Irish registered examples left - one other on the road and mine.

Mine was driven by me after purchase home approx 60 miles. With some relatively small mechanical issues it appeared servicable.

Obviously a vehicle with this amount of rust could not stay on the road.

The rust in this location, both sides -was obviously a well known issue. The HS company at least supplied a repair panel for the lower region. I recently came across panels on German ebay but vendor was not willing to ship.

These panels would have made life a little easier but I will work with what I have regardlessbh2.jpegbh.jpeg

OP
G

gurrier

Connoisseur
Many thanks for the encouragement. I have a long standing affinity with Mercedes having owned W201,202,203,209 and presently a 204.
It is a testament to the basic quality of the machine that it has survived this long. I will do what I can to preserve a part of the motoring heritage of our small Country.