2019 Mustang GT Review.

More threads by Patrick_R

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Gents,
After arriving at the Hertz desk at Tullamarine early Monday morning, I expected the usual run of the mill cars.
My status allows me 2 levels of upgrade, and at Tullamarine they have a small roped off area where I can pick any car that takes my fancy.
I’ve had a couple of Audi, and Kluger when I have some work mates traveling with me so a big car is advantageous.

However this time there was only one college with me.
As we arrived, I spotted this.
D706-B244-4593-4-DE4-A3-C4-2-D017-B2-D4894.jpg
Upon asking the Hertz Staff if this was available my answer was “of course it is”
Sweet, hand it over I thought.

As many of you chaps have discussed and shared some observatuions regarding Mustangs I thought I would give this one a full review, and share with all of you.

The first thing I noticed after handed the key, which was a fairly large fob type electronic key, was that there are no push buttons on the door handle we are used to on later cars. The key fob contains 4 buttons, and all are different to the feel, so even in the dark, (after you are used to it) the top button is the door unlock, which needs to be pushed twice to unlock both doors, a lock button is in the middle, which is chrome, the 3rd button is for the boot which has a x2 symbol on it (2 pushes will open the boot) lastly the bottom button will sound the horn to frighten anyone who may be drooling on your lovely Mustang.

Or, as the lady said, just grab the door handle and it will unlock, which it did, my work mate grabbed his door handle and his unlocked after mine.
Nice touch.
To lock the car, you can just stand near the car as you close the door, and then as you walk away, the car will lock by itself, or push the lock button on the fob.

Upon opening the door this lights your way, and is called a puddle light, of course a little different to the Rolls-Royce puddle lamps I am used to.
8073-C34-D-8-A92-4-C33-8356-8-CDE37-B1-ADAE.jpg
We now had to load our luggage in the boot, which comprised two cabin bags, and two pull alongs.
These fitted very easily in the quite spacious boot.
We were both impressed with the depth of the boot and the very generous length to the back seat.
This would easily hold 2 large suitcases, and a few soft carry bags.
8487612-B-4191-4279-B439-4-EA9-D86-A897-E.jpg

Upon getting in and seeing the red illuminated start button, which only allows the car to start once you put your foot on the brake, which then illuminates a green light in the start button.
Be prepared for one of the most glorious sounding start cycles I’ve ever heard. The beautiful 5 litre Coyote engine cranks for about 2 seconds, and then this amazing bark of the engine firing, hits your ears, it’s is just fantastic.
Not at all to loud, but certainly let’s you know it means business.
Fantastic.

Upon hitting the Mustang horse logo (FYI, there are no Ford logos anywhere on a Mustang) on the steering wheel controls, you find a large array of electronic adjustment, or customisations you can do.
One was quite interesting, which allowed the car to start “quiet” or “loud”
The settings are quite amazing to listen to. The quiet setting let’s the car start almost silently.
Here are some other settings you can find regarding the exhaust, all have a dramatic effect.
448393-AF-0-DD6-465-D-86-EC-99-FBC4127-E0-A.jpg

A6-C7-A6-C7-D59-F-48-EC-AD3-B-44-F938-F16453.jpg

This was the first of many surprises I found in this “out of the box standard” GT Mustang.
These features and many others discovered over 3 days, shows what great value, and the amount of standard kit included in a pretty affordable price for a very nice sports car.

This example had just over 42k on the clock.
Everything in the car feels very solid, and well built, a quality feel is abundant throughout the whole vehicle.

Once on the road, the car feels very solid, very well built, handles & steers with laser precision, while being very quiet inside the cabin.
Very noticeable is the quite good vision all round, and almost no blind spots at all from the quite bright and airy feel the large glass area, even for a short arse like me.
Of course that beautiful exhaust note does enter the cabin at just the right volume.
The steering, even has its own electronic adjustment through one of the centre stack mounted switches. These are normal, sport & track. Also on the centre stack are switches for drive mode, which are normal, winter & sports plus.
Traction control on or off, and hazard lights.
84525467-9272-4-A9-C-B894-49189373-C80-C.png
*please note the start switch with green light as mentioned above.
The “Shaker” logo on the console refers to the high powered sound system with boot mounted sub woofer.
D7-F840-C3-E0-A5-4-B46-8-A6-B-6-C9-D0117-BB5-E.jpg

The 5 litre engine is very powerful, and when using the throttle, you know she means business, the tachometer works like a fly swatter, the engine reacts extremely quick.

Is is coupled to a 10 speed transmission, which when driven in “normal” mode, is quite good to change up, and is quite happy to get to 10th, fairly quick, if driven sedately.
Why I mention “good” in the upchange, is because it was quite bad on the downshift.
When driving in top gear, and then accelerating mildly, she will drop immediately to 8th, with a quite dramatic thump.
I could replicate this anytime I wanted, so it wasn’t just that particular down shift.
This is the only negative I had with the whole driving experience of this car.
In sports plus mode, well she hang onto gear quite dramatically even when throttling off to give some very impressive engine braking.
However, she wouldn’t drop into top until I was doing well over the 110kph speed limit.

The dash display can also be altered in many different ways, it has many customisable gauges & other items of interest to display on its high resolution full colour LCD.
FF481-A31-E5-FF-409-C-BA5-C-0-D61-B8-ED3-F16.jpg
The above image is the sports plus dash, however all of the round gauges in the middle can be customised from 6 selections.
One thing I found interesting, was the volt meter would drop as I accelerated.
When I backed off, it went backed off.
I guess when the engine is working hard, even at higher alternator speed, the current draw for ignition, cam timing ect ect must be quite demanding.

Another impressive thing about this sports car, which is quite unlike any other, is that it has a very good ride, even on its low profile tyres.
Another good thing is it has great ground clearance, not once did I scrape anything, and you can park up to a gutter and the front splitter does not hit it, remarkable.
The rear end is also quite high, and cleared anything I backed up to when parking.
This is great for a daily driver.

The dash and console also have a very high quality feel and all switch gear feels very solid and not cheap in any way shape or form.
I was very impressed with all of this, plus the interior fit and finish was first rate.
1-E14-A837-CDB8-4-D34-B81-E-84-C0-CBCBDA79.jpg
Standard is full leather interior, seat heating and seat cooling, dual zone climate controlled air conditioning, auto up and down on both windows, and a very good sat nav. The high resolution LCD screen is quite large, about 8 inches I would say, and the reverse camera is very high Quality indeed, with reverse sensors. The Mustang also sports, adaptive cruise control, lane keep management, and autonomous braking or AEB.
If I have to mention one small niggle, the steering wheel buttons exceed 20, and is a little busy.
It did take me the whole 3 days to be fully comfortable and familiar with them.

The seats are extremely comfortable and very supportive as a sports car should be.
They have electric fore and aft slide adjustment, electronically adjustable bolsters and lumber, and a manual seat back tilt adjustment.
The leather and stitching have a quality feel to them, and the leather is quite soft and supple adding to the luxury feel and comfort.
Rear seats are x 2 if you are short like me, and have the seat moved forward, the rear seat leg room is “just acceptable” my work mate had his seat back, and his seat back was touching the rear seat base, so zero leg room.

6882314-B-2279-4-BDB-9-B85-E14-F8275-D94-C.jpg

F9-F984-EF-BEB8-48-C0-B815-8-B60-C44-FEE36.jpg

As mentioned the engine is the heart and soul of this vehicle.
And for ford to build this fantastic package around it, I think is quite a good result.
3-CF7-C5-CD-5860-4772-B5-AE-8-B3-CA8348926.jpg

All in all I enjoyed my days in the Mustang, I averaged 12L/100k, which wasn’t bad considering the bit of a flogging I gave it :D

Would I buy one?
Yes, in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Many thanks for a great and thorough review Patrick!

Would I buy one?
Yes, in a heartbeat.

There was one point you could but should not have reviewed and that is how safe is it, should the unthinkable happen and you had a serious accident.

This is a safety section in an article by David McCowen from News.com.au written about the Mustang in October 2019 titled:

Ford Mustang is a great performance car with a huge flaw.
This sporty coupe is one of the world’s most desirable and sought after performance cars, but there is a sinister side to it that you need to know about.

He goes on raving about how great it is until he gets to the safety aspect:

Quote"
ANCAP ratings are a sore point. The safety body handed down a sub-par two-star rating in January 2017, which became three stars when the facelifted Mustang arrived with autonomous emergency braking and lane keeping assistance in 2018. ANCAP said last year that the Mustang 'falls short of our expectations in the areas of adult occupant and child occupant protection'.
"Unquote

Remember , I drove one in Las Vegas for 5 days during SEMA in November 2019 and enjoyed it a lot, although it still 'felt' (from the finish point of view) like a run-of-the mill cheaply finished mass-produced car.

Would I buy one?
NEVER... whilst it is still rated at 3 stars

http://howsafeisyourcar.com.au/2019/Ford/Mustang/FN-MY19-Fastback-2dr-Man-6sp-RWD-2_3T/

OP
Patrick_R

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Extremely good point Michel,
This made me re think my thoughts of would i own one of these.
So I thought I would look a little deeper into these issues.

As you all may know I am not a Ford fan by any stretch of the imagination, my review was meant to maybe be of some assistance to anyone thinking of buying one to use as I did, which was a daily drive.

It seems that the Mustang does have some bad press when it comes to this, and even the fellow you quoted states “ANCAP ratings are a sore point”

Why I say this is I remember as I am sure you do, some of the worlds safest cars were demoted in Australia from 5 star ANCAP to 3 & 4 star when ANCAP reviewed and adjusted their rating systems.

Cars that were happily getting 5 Stars in Australia were now not getting these.
The main culprits for these down grades were visual seat belt warnings front & back, audible seat belt warnings front & back, stability control, side or curtain airbags pedestrian safety etc etc.

Some cars sold recently especially the Renault was flogged in the press for not having side or curtain airbags, yet still achieved a 5 star ANCAP rating.

If we look at the reports for Mustang, the biggest issue that drags it down to 3 stars is the child occupant protection rating of 32%. There is no lower score than this I can find in the ANCAP system.
The rear seats of Mustang do not have any seat belt warnings of any type at all, so this affects the ANCAP rating as well.
But that is Ford’s penny pinching, how expensive could it be to fit seat belt warnings for gods sake.

If we look at the other ratings, the Mustang stands up quite good, not great, but just as good and some better compared to some other cars sold in Australia.
In regards to pedestrian safety

It is interesting that my new X Trail, does not have any ANCAP scores for which the Mustang does.
This makes me think how safe it actually is.

Lastly I thought I would look at comparable sports cars sold in Australia.
Chrysler, Dodge, Porsche, Chevrolet.
None of these have an ANCAP rating, yet are still sold happily in Australia.
Exotic sports cars, do not even appear on the ANCAP list at all.

At least if one chooses to buy a Mustang, a full review and specs can be seen by the prospective owner who can then make an educated decision.
Like me, I will not have any children in the back of my Mustang, thus would negate that extremely low rating that section received.

If I want to buy one of the above performance cars, one can’t see any safety information in Australia at all.

sean sherry

Master
Yes Michel ,, I'm with you, my life is a very high priority. That's why I have two C Class 2010 Mercedes. Curtain and Knee Air Bags 5 star Crumple Zones .
My W204 is the same as the currant W205s.:)

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Great review of the Mustang.
Its good that Ford is still making an 'affordable' v8 car that is fun to drive. Not everybody wants turbo four cylinder SUVs!

To Michel's point on the safety, I have a real problem with how the star ratings are calculated these days.

In my view, there should be two rates, one rating is for the safety of the actual car, based 100% on the crash tests. This is essentially the active safety rating. There should not be rules around you can only get say four stars unless you get lane departure tech in the car.

next, there can be a separate rating for the car's ability to avoid crashes, but it must be expanded out from just gadgets to things like blind sports, maneuverability of the car, stopping distance, propensity to roll over etc.

I would argue that a smaller agile car without blind spots and low to the ground is more likely to avoid a crash than a high up SUV with massive blind spots but lane warning indicators.