2018 Dodge Challenger R/T

More threads by c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I've been driving this Dodge for the last couple of days.

2019-07-14-11-20-42-1.jpg

2019-07-14-15-53-49.jpg

It's a lot of fun and nothing beats the instant torque of a big v8. the car companies are trying to tell us we want smaller turbo engines. I say no! For the price they pay, this is a lot of car, even if it has questionable build quality/fit and finish etc.

my full review here: http://www.classicjalopy.com/2019/07/2018-dodge-challenger-r-t-review/

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
With advent of electrics, and hybrids and small displacement turbos becoming more common all in in the quest for fuel economy, why do we need large heavy SUV's?

Think outside of the square!

Buy the smallest car you can find, that has a normally aspirated V8, the result will be a medium sized vehicle, that has lots of power.
Intelligently used, lots of power can make driving easier, and therefore safer.

And a modern V8 in a medium sized car will also deliver reasonable fuel economy.
If driven intelligently.

Bryce has just proven this.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Great article!
I enjoyed reading it. ;)

In terms of great value for rental, I recall last year when I wanted to rent a car in Houston to drive to San Antonio and back, I found out that a Crew Cab F150 XLT was cheaper to rent than a mere Ford Fusion. :rolleyes:

And coming back to the Challenger, my all-time favourite is the one out of the movie Vanishing Point.
Barry Newman, as car delivery driver Kowalski, decides to deliver a white 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 Magnum (supposedly supercharged) to San Francisco by Saturday afternoon, leaving Denver on the Friday night and although the car isn't due in San Fran until Monday morning.

Worth watching for the racing scenes and the sound of the seventies as well that of the Challenger.

Vanishing-Point.jpg

vanishing-point07.jpg

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Great article!
I enjoyed reading it. ;)

In terms of great value for rental, I recall last year when I wanted to rent a car in Houston to drive to San Antonio and back, I found out that a Crew Cab F150 XLT was cheaper to rent than a mere Ford Fusion. :rolleyes:

And coming back to the Challenger, my all-time favourite is the one out of the movie Vanishing Point.
Barry Newman, as car delivery driver Kowalski, decides to deliver a white 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 Magnum (supposedly supercharged) to San Francisco by Saturday afternoon, leaving Denver on the Friday night and although the car isn't due in San Fran until Monday morning.

Worth watching for the racing scenes and the sound of the seventies as well that of the Challenger.

the white challenger did make me think of Kowalski and this movie. It's pretty much a two hour car chase.

The movie challenger also had the superbly tacky pistol grip shifter, something that would be almost mandatory should one ever get a manual car.

I do think the original challenger is one of the better looking pony cars of this era. When coupled with the 440 it was a pretty good combination. the collectors might want the 426 hemi but the 440 was easier for street use.

Oversize

Grand Master
From a visual point of view I prefer the Challenger to the Camaro, but not sure how they compare quality-wise...

If I had my choice of muscle car, I'd choose the Buick GSX 455.

Oversize

Grand Master
Did they seriously trash an E Type??? WTF :eek:

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
From a visual point of view I prefer the Challenger to the Camaro, but not sure how they compare quality-wise...

If I had my choice of muscle car, I'd choose the Buick GSX 455.

I like Challengers over the common ones like Camaros, but my favorite one of the era is the 1968 Hurst/Olds.

fl0117-269402_1.jpg

Although if you stretch the definition a bit I would have the 1961 Chrysler 300G

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
My all-time favourite the Pontiac GTO Judge.

310-E6-F28-9267-46-CC-BE0-F-65-FC7-C9-E2129.jpg

F1-DE041-D-7031-402-D-BC42-99-B0-DD82071-B.jpg