1951 170 Hot Rod

More threads by motec 6.9

Styria

The Godfather
How many of you have driven a 170 model ? Sure, it is essentially a pre-war design, thus one should not expect anything outstanding. In all honesty though, they are an absolutely horrible little car to drive, and perhaps even to look at. When compared with a Rover of the same vintage, just no comparison. The Rover wins hands down, both looks wise and in the quality of fittings. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
How many of you have driven a 170 model ? Sure, it is essentially a pre-war design, thus one should not expect anything outstanding. In all honesty though, they are an absolutely horrible little car to drive, and perhaps even to look at. When compared with a Rover of the same vintage, just no comparison. The Rover wins hands down, both looks wise and in the quality of fittings. Regards Styria
Yes; Styria - you are correct. Having driven both I can say there is no comparison. The Rover is light and nimble with beautifully light steering and precise gearbox and the 170 is just a tad agricultural.
However, each is a relatively easy car to drive and would be suitable for daily commuting in the city - just be mindful of the Anderson v General Motors lawsuit and pray no-one runs into the rear end. :eek:
Regards,
Brian

WiSeGuYY

Hi GODFATHER & BRIAN

Sorry to disagree with you Both , mid 90 i saw a vintage ROVER in INDIA ( bombay ) was 1912 i think( MINT condition) and i saw many Benz too from same era , i personally find the benz more appealing at any time , maybe in AUSTRALIA you guys favor a bit english cars ( just my impression from always see you compare BENZ with local and mix american and britsh manufactering).

Just please post one ROVER from same year more or less as that 170 to let us compare , maybe MOTEC can find one for us ( it show he is good at this rare finds) on cruzing in frensh and german forums (maybe english too) .

No disrespect to ROVER butin fair comparison of price , technology , production and popularity i will take a benz any time .

REGARDS

TAREK

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Tarek, I think it is important to consider that my assessment applies to the two models of that period - say late '40s and very early fifties. If you then go down the line, the two manufacturers pursued different directions. You know for instance, there is nothing that Rover produced during the fifties that could compare with an Adenauer 300 both in status and engineering.

So, in many ways I agree with you, but the Rover 3 litre and 3.5 litre Coupes were a lovely car quality wise, but not nearly as advanced mechanically as the contemporary models from Mercedes Benz. Rover started to suffer the moment British Leyland took over and they went downhill steadily after that. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Just for Tarek's benefit, these are some images of the Rover #-litre and 3.5-litre.
Also the Coupe, which was really a four door with a beautiful roofline.

RoverP5coupe.jpg
s640x480.jpg
RoverP5B3-5litreCoupetail.jpg
fs_img_2035.jpg
fs_countryside1aart.jpg
5128251591_1c19656bdb.jpg
1970Rover3_5LitreCoupe.jpg

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Some Interior and engine bay pics

1973RoverP5BCoupe8Interior.jpg
1966_Rover_3_litre_Interior.jpg
1962RoverP53Litre7Interior.jpg
1973RoverP5BCoupe9Engine.jpg

WiSeGuYY

Thanks GODFATHER for the post ( my sentiment exactly) not same level ( that what i think) , and thanks MICHEL for the pictures , but i saw them many times when i visited london in the early 70 , even after that i'm talking about the more advanced ROVER which was built later on in INDIA which was for me appealing cause it was like italian sports cars.
P.S i am a man who got a shrink to cure me from wanting a jag E type , and adore austin healy .

REGARDS

TAREK