Dora 2

More threads by Oversize

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Thanks for the support guys. Going by my records it’ll be the 3rd such car registered & running with S2 in Australia. Although the WA car has had its share of issues since being laid up for a very long period.

Once up & running again I’ll be thoroughly testing the hydro to make sure all functions are working correctly. Oh I just bought a spare HPF pump from Ebay nice n cheap since the seller didn’t know what they were selling...

I would guess that if there are 3 known to be running in Australia, there are probably less than 100 running globally, mostly in Europe.

Probably more series 1 cars, I've seen a few more of those.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Interesting that I've only seen two W126 S1 HPFs. One was quite ho hum owned by a mate for a while now sold. The other was missing most of the parts from the system, so it probably doesn't count anyway. And yes I managed to get my hands on the remaining parts...

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Hello new parts!! Not super impressed by the quality but they have to be better than old or non OEM!!

3-D8-F94-FE-2711-4295-9-A3-E-DC08-E87499-F3.jpg

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
All replaced & a little better but still rougher than I’d like. The Econo gauge seems to indicate a vac leak....

https://youtu.be/l2r5ullK05I

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Interesting discoveries...

266-A1-E33-C376-4728-BE89-969-C9-E656-F6-A.jpg

51945-DA4-0-A14-49-C6-B294-C06-D06-D46-A16.jpg

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Mechanical advance when I think it should be electronic & cold start injector mounted upside down (now fixed)!!

This is the electronic dizzy on one of my other cars. Would a 420 dizzy fit a 560??

B1-B2-AD2-C-FFDA-42-E2-9-A8-E-93-FCE44-AD353.jpg

F2-B203-A3-4-F24-4-C36-AC04-222-F1-BD7-D507.jpg

My current thoughts are someone’s fitted an Aussie dizzy as something went wrong with the electronic advance... :eek:

c107

and 111/116/124/126
This is the electronic dizzy on one of my other cars. Would a 420 dizzy fit a 560??

I think it would physically fit but the part number is almost certainly different.
I don't have the tech data book for this set of years, but looking at the tech data book for 1980, each different engine has a different distributor number.

I don't know how much difference there would be in reality.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I’ll be interested to check her with a timing light...

E5-B9-F61-D-7647-41-DF-B7-C8-B65516-EA0-FE6.jpg

And looks like I’ll be investing in a smoke machine!!!

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Oh interesting!! So I found a leak! Now fixed but the econo gauge is still wrong. Vac gauge steady at 16mmhg. Is that too low for a M117??
3-B5043-D1-1-F11-4828-BB50-4298-DA5-EA971.jpg

6-CC3-CAC3-3-B3-A-4132-A7-CD-D2503-A1-F7-C11.jpg

822-E4-F48-020-D-4-ACB-86-B5-29-A337-C20-E5-B.jpg

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Oh that's inches of Hg not mm.... I'm keen to replace the half shafts and book in for a RWC. Hopefully they won't look too hard at the rear ball joint boots but if they have to be replaced at least I have options with the Ball Joint Dr.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
It’ll be interesting to try this out! No permanent mods to be made & completely reversible.... No FD internal hump, no bridge, no internal grille, no concave lid.

3798252-D-C5-B5-4-D75-8-E7-E-6-A9-C65-CF50-C9.jpg

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Well that won’t work unless you mod the fuel lines & other stuff so shelves that idea for now!

Better news with the help of a mate all the way from WA we found the vac leak under the battery! And fixed the EGR, EZL & trans mode hoses which were incorrectly fitted or disconnected by the PO! And now the econo gauge works perfectly & presumably other systems too... I don’t expect the EGR to be working after all these years but if it’s blocked up I’m fine with that!

Replaced the HPFE solenoid block which was found to be seized or blocked up too. Just gotta love NOS parts if they’re still ok! Now the RR strut has started to leak but at least we’re making progress! The low pressure light now goes out after I adjusted the cable & it even goes to high position! You can hear the solenoids working when sport mode is activated even if the switch light isn’t working (yet to fix)!

Looking forward to finally replacing the gauges & giving her a more thorough wash!!

410878-AB-049-E-413-F-9-D07-82-A8427-B7-BDD.jpg

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Well that won’t work unless you mod the fuel lines & other stuff so shelves that idea for now!

Better news with the help of a mate all the way from WA we found the vac leak under the battery! And fixed the EGR, EZL & trans mode hoses which were incorrectly fitted or disconnected by the PO! And now the econo gauge works perfectly & presumably other systems too... I don’t expect the EGR to be working after all these years but if it’s blocked up I’m fine with that!

Replaced the HPFE solenoid block which was found to be seized or blocked up too. Just gotta love NOS parts if they’re still ok! Now the RR strut has started to leak but at least we’re making progress! The low pressure light now goes out after I adjusted the cable & it even goes to high position! You can hear the solenoids working when sport mode is activated even if the switch light isn’t working (yet to fix)!

Looking forward to finally replacing the gauges & giving her a more thorough wash!!

410878-AB-049-E-413-F-9-D07-82-A8427-B7-BDD.jpg

Sounds like you've taken a big step forward with the HPFE system, doesn't sound like too much more work to get the car back on the road more permanently.

sean sherry

Master
Yes Mark, my favourite Tuning Tool ..... a Vacuum Gauge. reveals all.
Your knowledge and tenacity astound me !!!!
Question .. are mercedes rear Mufflers restrictive ?
Both our C Class W204 Turbos sound so subdued.:eek:

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Thanks Sean yes it’s amazing what you can find if you go back to basics & trusty old methods! They were used for generations for a reason!!!

I am very determined to see my projects come to life so I can’t give up!!

I would say yes but I don’t know them personally. Keep in mind the factory made things to suit a wide variety of consumers & turbos chop up the sound waves regardless so they may always sound muted compared to NA or supercharged engines. The TT BMWs in the GT Class at The Bend were quiet compared to others but still had very good pace!

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Time to get serious on the old girl and replace the driveshafts and hopefully not the RR strut which sprung a leak last time I had her running! At least I have a NOS replacement which I bought a while ago for the just-in-cases!

A coolant change and good clean should get her close to RWC, so I can apply for club rego with MBCV.

A mate just replaced the chain on his 420 and it highlights the importance of checking everything thoroughly! He had at least one broken guide on the thing which was showing no signs of impending disaster!!! I'm starting to think I should recheck the guides and oilers on Dora to make sure there's no hand grenade about to go off in there....

Considering the relatively low cost of replacing a chain and associated components, you'd be mad not to change them if you're in any doubt on their condition, or when they were last changed (if ever)!!!

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Time to get serious on the old girl and replace the driveshafts and hopefully not the RR strut which sprung a leak last time I had her running! At least I have a NOS replacement which I bought a while ago for the just-in-cases!

A coolant change and good clean should get her close to RWC, so I can apply for club rego with MBCV.

A mate just replaced the chain on his 420 and it highlights the importance of checking everything thoroughly! He had at least one broken guide on the thing which was showing no signs of impending disaster!!! I'm starting to think I should recheck the guides and oilers on Dora to make sure there's no hand grenade about to go off in there....

Considering the relatively low cost of replacing a chain and associated components, you'd be mad not to change them if you're in any doubt on their condition, or when they were last changed (if ever)!!!

I think its a good idea to check the guides.
I've had 4 560s, and 3 of them had broken guides when checked. I guess they can be like that for a while, but all you need is the guide to get caught in the chain and the engine is toast.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I finally managed to free some space on my old phone & it’s now easier to find old images which I can now post... Dora on the way to the steam cleaner & the undercarriage & HPF after spending a few hours & $30. Next time I’ll remove the wheels & go nuts(er)!

31-D3567-E-56-BE-43-BC-A3-AE-2-FC1-CE6500-A8.jpg

57-F52856-2295-4-AB8-A252-2-A86-F4-E84-D65.jpg

9-A9-AA722-6-B2-A-4-BBF-B5-C9-4-A7-FD210-F4-FF.jpg

E110-F486-30-C6-4-CF8-90-E7-D8-B4-A77-E53-B2.jpg

F76-F89-D0-AC4-B-411-D-A024-E77-FB728-F1-E8.jpg

Last edited: